Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,563   Online: 773

pmu

Shooter
    35mm

pushing with rodinal

Ok,

times for rodinal 1+50, 20C degrees, 35mm tri-x400 shot at ISO1600. Looking at massive dev. chart I see a reading 18,5 minutes, but that has to be incorrect - right? I have developed with same dilution and same temperatures at ISO800 - 20 minutes! And by using the guide - 2 stop push, increase the time from normal dev, x2.25 so that ISO1600 should be more like 30 minutes. ??

What about agitation - I have used 10 seconds every minute - light agitation, not shaking like a maniac. Also if my times for ISO800 sounds weird, please let me know.

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For pushing in a sense of getting details from the shadows, I would rather dilute 1:100 and develop 60-80 mins with inversions every five mins ( read once in a while). I used to develop HP5+ this way, expose at 800 and 60 mins at 1:100. Old papers in Leica Fotographie show that Rodinal gains speed at higher dilutions, as the contrast is tamed the shadows have more time. This technique will not give you the blown out look of typical pushing.
    For 1:50 my Agfa book says 14 mins, 500 ASA.

Regards,

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pmu

by all means run a test !

but wolfram's advice is good. i'd be confident of good results at 1+100 for one hour, agitating for 5 seconds every 15 minutes. If the midtones are too low, go for 90 minutes.

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you absolutely determined to use Rodinal for this? Rodinal is not the best developer for push processing, and I don't like it much for faster films like Tri-X. I know that I beat the XTOL drum quite a bit, but I like the stuff and think it does a pretty darn good job no matter what you throw at it. Though I've never used it myself, Microphen should prove to be another good choice. Anecdotal evidence from a number of users only add to my belief that it would be. There are other good choices as well. Diafine will get you an exposure index of anywhere from 1250 to 1600 and is dead simple to use. Rating Tri-X at 800 and developing in Diafine is not a disaster either, but it is a bit dense at that speed. Others report that they get good results with Acufine at EI 800 to 1000. Finally there is D-76 which will work very well too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try PanF+ in Rodianl at ISO 32.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I exposed some Efke 100 at 400 by mistake. Would pushing it with 1+100 Rodinal be the way to go? Or some other developer?

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin