Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,372   Online: 772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Again, this combo is recognised as one of the best by many people (Roger Hicks for one). Why it is not working for you does not sound like a matter of taste as the grain is relatively big and you can see this compared to other films/devs. It does not matter either. If it is not working for you, it is not working......

Tom
    Tom,

I don't...think I said anything contrary to your point here. I meant that this combination might not be a good one for my methods. I didn't mean to imply that it's bad, period. I apologize for my lack of clarity there.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kaiyen,

No you did not, it was prob me being unclear! I was just saying that it is wierd it is so grainy for you as it is ackowldedged to be a great combo, but if you cannot get it to sing the reason becomes imaterial. If it does not look good to you, it is not good for you. Hopefully you will have better luck with something else. Fingers crossed for Pan F in FX-39, a combo I will try to try out this weekend, weather (Wales...) permitting. The forecast has thunder and lightning- great

FWIW, I find it tough to get nice prints to my eye from Ilford MG1V....the most commonly used paper on earth.

Did you shoot female portraits? I found FX-39 and Rodinal too grainy for that.But for landscapes it gives very sharp results from 35 mm and Leica man Erwin Puts at imx.nl likes it.
    One film considered slightly less grainy than Delta 100 is not on your list,it is T-max 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Female portraits in particular? Seems like a weird question to me :-). No, these are architectural shots, mostly.

Gonna go shoot this weekend. Why is it only Wednesday!?

allan

If You please,a solvent developer may be used to provide smoother skin tones and FX-39 for other 35mm work.I used a solvent developer for this and FX-39 for everything else 35mm when I used it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan - ah. Now I get it. Good suggestions that I will keep in mind...

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all,

So, as a followup...I tried FX-39 again this weekend. I tried the following combinations:

Delta 100 (135) @ 125 FX-39 1+19 7:00
    Delta 100 (120) @ 125 FX-39 1+19 8:00
    Pan F+ (135) @ 50 FX-39 1+19 8:00

agitation was 30s initial, then 10s each minute. I decreased the times from Mike Scarpitti's recommendations since I scan, which is more condenser-esque than diffision-esque.

Initial thoughts are that the grain is a lot more controlled. This, in turn, allows the sharpness to really come through. The Pan F results are really quite spectacular.

Small and therefore only-moderately useful scans are at http://www.pbase.com/romosoho/transit (the first several, of the old trains). The scans are still quite flat for now - having monitor contrast issues at home.

The one thing I found was that the times were actually too short. Admittedly, this was a low contrast day and I should've bumped up the time a bit, but these were incredibly flat right out of the scanner. So I still have some messing around to do there. I think the times listed above would be pretty close for a normal contrast day.

Hopefully I'll have enough fx-39 left to do a few more test rolls.

Thanks for the input.
    allan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin