Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,713   Online: 850

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldc
    Would love to hear your experiences of FX-50 and anything we can learn to adapt to this new developer. I am also with Tom and Keith on this thread in terms of being very aware of how personal workflows can influence personal development times.
    Paul
    I used FX50 once but never again. Shelf life of the B bottle is non-existent (about three days!). It's sad to see a great company like Paterson producing such rubbish (but, as we know, their other products are excellent).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

To touch on both aspects of this thread:# 1. If you brew your own developers, you may find FX15 to be even nicer than Acculux 2 for Fuji 400. In my experience the tones and acutance are similar to Acculux 2 but the grain is noticably finer. # 2. I really like Paterson products, BUT have gotten 3 sealed FX50 kits from B&H weeks apart from each other and found each totally dead out of the sealed bottle!

Roger Hicks, whom I greatly respect, wrote an article in Shutterbug which convinced me to try it, but I have given up on it. Maybe because it is less well known, new stock is actually rather old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

To touch on both aspects of this thread:# 1. If you brew your own developers, you may find FX15 to be even nicer than Acculux 2 for Fuji 400. In my experience the tones and acutance are similar to Acculux 2 but the grain is noticably finer. # 2. I really like Paterson products, BUT have gotten 3 sealed FX50 kits from B&H weeks apart from each other and found each totally dead out of the sealed bottle!

Roger Hicks, whom I greatly respect, wrote an article in Shutterbug which convinced me to try it, but I have given up on it. Maybe because it is less well known, new stock is actually rather old.

Cheers,

Jay L

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jay,

thanks for the info on FX15 - I am just starting to get in to mixing my own developers and this is exactly the information I need! Do you use FX15 at the same times / dilution as Aculux?

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aculux 2 & Neopan 400

1+19, 70 degrees, agitation 5 seconds per 5 minutes, 30 minutes.

Good luck.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re FX-50 horror stories: mine possibly one of the ones you read. My experience wasn't so much a horror story as disappointment. I used it for a little while before the B bottle went bad. I got fairly foggy negs for some reason. And it is expensive. (B&H was the only place I could find who would sell it to me at the time.)

If you are interested in a phenidone-ascorbate film developer, you can give XTOL a try (follow the tips about maximizing its lifetime) or home-brew Pat Gainer's PC developers or Ryuji Suzuki's DS-series or even E-76 or Mytol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer Jay
    ... I really like Paterson products, BUT have gotten 3 sealed FX50 kits from B&H weeks apart from each other and found each totally dead out of the sealed bottle! ...
    Check the 'use by date' on the bottle.

I've received some VERY short dated paterson from B&H... when it should have a VERY long date... according to Paterson USA.

I love B&H, but wonder how they got their hands on short-date Paterson.

Aculux 2 seems totally wonderful.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Aculux 2 & Neopan 400

1+19, 70 degrees, agitation 5 seconds per 5 minutes, 30 minutes.

Good luck.
    This is a very interesting use of more dilute Aculux. I am guessing it gives good highlight control. What sort of contrast do you get with negatives from this (and what sort of light are you shooting in)? Is this for a diffuser enlarger?

Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer Jay
    Roger Hicks, whom I greatly respect, wrote an article in Shutterbug which convinced me to try it, but I have given up on it.
    I tried it and was distinctly underwhelmed. Went straight back to Microphen/DD-X when I get the 'need for speed'. I re-read Roger's review afterwards, and I'm afraid it didn't sound terribly objective to these cynical eyes. If he likes the product I'm happy for him, but I don't feel the review places the product in context. The review is available on Paterson's website in PDF format.

Simon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again ,

For anyone interested in the Fuji 400 FX 15 combination, what I have found works best for me in 35 MM is: FX15 1:1 for 9 min @ 68 with 4 gentle inversions per minute. I have not tried it with MF but would start with an additional 10% on the time.

Good Luck!

Jay L.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin