Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,329   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Actual size of 2.25" x 3.25" sheet film

I have this camera I got as an extra when buying another camera. It came with 6 film holders that will fit a sheet that is 2.5" x 3.5". I was wondering if I use the 2.25" x 3.25" sheet film or if this camera used a film size that no longer exists?

The camera itself had no markings I could find. The shutter is a Compur and the lens is a jos. Schneider & Co. Kreuznach Xenar F3.5 105cm.

I think this might be an ICA before they merged with Zeiss but I'm not finding much. The film holders are rather funky but kind of cool. I would love to have this as a "user" but I will accept a fate of "shelf sitter".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sm_sheet_01.jpg  

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice old German folder? Nice old German lens? In that case the film size is 6.5x9cm. There are some "universal" holders which accept 2 1/4 x 3 1/4", 2 1/2 x 3 1/2" and 6.5x9cm film as well as 2 1/2 x 3 1/2" plates, but they are rare and of course they don't fit all cameras.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What about cutting? At $12 for a 25 pack of 3x4 film from J and C this doesn't sound too bad. Thinking out loud...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why cut when you can buy? 6.5x9cm isn't all that difficult to get hold of - JandC has some, Retrophotographic has some I think, and there are several other sources in Europe. In fact the last sheet film I bought was 200 sheets of 6.5x9 APX100 - two months ago!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oh, you mean under the Centimeter Size Link (J and C)...
    I should probably get more sleep, I think I can feel myself getting dumber

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best be careful there, Menacing -- sheet film is like cocaine; it'll steal your life away. Next thing you know, you'll be lugging a 12x20 (inch) camera in your car and taking out a second mortgage for a box of film...

And that goes double with a Xenar in that format; you'll get negatives similar in size to 6x9 on 120, but the film flatness will put most 6x9 roll film cameras to shame. Focus with care (use an 8x loupe on the ground glass, assuming you got a ground glass), and you'll be able to print to mural size from those...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    What about cutting? At $12 for a 25 pack of 3x4 film from J and C this doesn't sound too bad. Thinking out loud...
    If you want 2.5 X 3.5, and cannot buy it already cut, it would be better to start with 5X7.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Best be careful there, Menacing -- sheet film is like cocaine; it'll steal your life away. Next thing you know, you'll be lugging a 12x20 (inch) camera in your car and taking out a second mortgage for a box of film...
    Alan, you better listen.

Although with me, it isn't bigger cameras (I have no interest in anything larger than 4x5); it's lenses -- I just got my Schneider SuperSymar XL 80mm f4.5. Yum!!!!
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a sickness to be sure.

I can't wait to start using this little camera. I just sent it to Flutot's for a CLA and will order some film from J & C as soon as Carol sends it back. It might be a while before I can start enlarging (the darkroom is a long term project) but contact printing with the 5x7 should keep me happy.

I better make sure I take a lot of portraits of the kids so my wife understands or at least tolerates it. Besides, I don't drink, smoke, gamble or golf so I gotta do so something! I guess it's photography

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it's cheaper than building choppers or racing sports cars -- at least at first...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin