Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,583   Online: 837

View Poll Results: I am a....

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ansel

13 18.06%
  • Weston

59 81.94%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I lean most heavily to the intuitive approach. The zone system is fine and I use it slightly for value placement but that's it. I think Adams was a lot more intuitive than his writings make the reader believe. He was pushing a methodology because that's what was wanted from him. The Zone System is a good methodoly for teaching and I belive that is why he came up with it and pushed it. But how could he have done Moonrise without being fully adept at the intuitive?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop
    Edward Weston created brilliant photographs through his imaginative and sensitivity for photography. He was not a "Zone" guy, and his photographs as most says, "comes from the heart".
    My personal feeling is that Ansel Adams was more of a person that would make photographs out of a heart feeling. He loved nature and tried to show to the world how amazing, earth, our home can be. I would say passion was his main drive.
    In the case of Weston I feel he shot out of a very intense feeling of curiosity, one of deep questioning of the world, of its things and how they affect us on a deep emotional level.

So, I always feel Weston's work is deeper. That's the way this guy was, simple and deep and it shows. Adams was grandiose and complex and it shows. Both great artists. I take Weston any day.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This sounds like a perfect subject for a raging arguement ;-)

Although I've never really liked Weston as a person or photographer, he did some nice photos ;-) I like most of Adams work but just can't see his methods...

The way I learned photography and the way I still do it is more intuitive, experimentation, trial and error, logical thinking, experience...

Simply put, take a general reading, make a quick judgement that some area needs an extra stop ot two (or less), adjust the exposure and go at it. Back when I actually did photography I rarely even used a meter. Now I do because I've gone and spent so much money on them ;-) But a few weeks ago when out shooting a dozen rolls of MF, I metered for a few hours, then noticed that I was again setting exposure without looking through the meter first. It really doesn't take much to jusge the right exposure without all the metering and calculations...

I suppose that if I really had to pick just one, it would have to be Weston as I simply could not handle all those little details that Adams thought so important...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess a Weston, but really I'm more of a Dykinga or Cornish type of guy.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    I'm an Aniston.
    Wait. No. that would make a hot actress who probably doesn't do any serious photography.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Weston aspiring to be a Mortenson...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose I'm a Wadams. I admire the photography of both men. and both contributed an enormous amount to the art and consequently my growth as a black and white photographer.

I would pose a slightly different question --

If either Adams or Weston were starting out today do you think they would make it as succesful regarded photographers?

I personally think they would but I doubt they would be the masters we see them as. I see work by many photographers of this age that in my view [personal] is the equal or better of anything either of these men did.

I contend that as great as they were, historical timing was advantageous in both their careers.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Neither.
    I follow the european tradition.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Neither, I`m a Strand person!

Between those two masters, I prefer Weston`s approach, but respect alot what Adams gave to photography.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I pick up a new film or a new developer, I put on my Adams hat and examine the results thoroughly so I can go on and wear that Weston hat (or something else, perhaps a Strömholm hat) later on when I just want to enjoy photography.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin