Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 767

View Poll Results: I am a....

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ansel

13 18.06%
  • Weston

59 81.94%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I admire both and have a huge library with a lot of works about them and by both men, I think Weston had much more fun with women, so of course I would like to be more like Weston! In reality, I think some posters hit it right when they said Weston's approach was less "clinical." Both men though, knew their materials well, and knew how to get the most from what equipment they used. Both knew how to burn/dodge in the darkroom. However, given the minimalist approach taken by Weston, that man really knew his stuff. Both had a passion for their art and craft, and both made superb pieces of work. Still, I think Weston's breadth of work is awesome; Adams was the better promoter. Weston had great nudes -- Adams zero. I'd probably rather go drinking with Ansel, though.

It would be presumptuous of me to even think I could work like either man -- but on a good day my approach is more like Weston's than Adams. On a bad day it's more like Gary Winogrand.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I rather be Imogen Cunningham!!!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand Ansel and how to apply the Zone System (though I'm limited by my tools -- spot meters are more expensive than any camera I own), but I'm much more inclined to shoot like Weston -- "wave the meter around and then pull an exposure out of the air" pretty closely describes my methodology, except that I don't even use a meter for medium or small format, for the most part. Sunny 16 works so well, I just leave the meter in the bag with my plate cameras, and bring it out when they're taking the sun...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin