Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,841   Online: 1174

View Poll Results: I am a....

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ansel

13 18.06%
  • Weston

59 81.94%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Are you a Weston or an Ansel?

So, Ansel Adams translated the photographic language into the Zone System and throughout his career, created very powerful images from his exacting process. Ansel relies on his knowledge of sensitometry to create his wonderfully dramatic and rich prints.

Edward Weston created brilliant photographs through his imaginative and sensitivity for photography. He was not a "Zone" guy, and his photographs as most says, "comes from the heart". His method of work derived through intuition and intimacy of his tools. Ansel said that Weston would point his meter at an area and turn a few dials on the light meter and conclude at a general exposure based on his experience.

So my question is, how do you photograph? Are you a Weston or an Ansel? Do you find yourself out there shooting the image based on your intuition and feel for the subject, or do you find yourself doing calculations in your head trying to figure Zone placements?
    Last edited by djklmnop; 08-10-2005 at 03:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have a very hard time comparing myself to either of these greats... I'm just sort of in the 'discovery' phase. But I'd have to say that I am more of a Weston... though I do use my meter and try to visualize things in a zone-sort-of-fashion.

Heck, I'm such a beginner I only have two cameras and am not looking to buy any more until I understand these!! Now THAT's the sign of a neophyte! haha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    btw.... great topic!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    At the risk of sounding very presumptuous, I'd have to put myself in the Adams catagory, in that when shooting B+W film in medium or large format, I place my important shadows on Zone III for the exposure, and take note of the highlight zone for development. But that is just a way of getting a negative that you can get the most out of in the printing stage. Before I've decided what my most important shadows and highlights are, I've thought about camera placement, what to include or exclude, depth of field, and all the other things that go into the attempt at making a good image.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mainly Edw.W.

"If you're thinking about your camera, it isn't a portrait..."

Yep. But then, whatever works is the right way.

Ever actually SEE Weston Strand and Adams prints next to each other ?

Or Cunningham ? Wow.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I must addmit that I am more of a Weston the Theory is all well and good but my aprouch is based on intuition and feel for the subject
    So I ama [B]WESTON[/B] all the way
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A callow codger, but aspire toward a Weston.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Read the Weston Daybooks and you will like Weston a whole lot more.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Actually after reading the day books book 1 Mexico I lost a ton of respect for the guy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I read the title to this thread, my first gut reaction was.."neither". I think Stephen Shore is my most favorite LF landscape photog.

But, after reading the question, I see you have somethingelse in mind...how would we characterize our own technique?

I read about the zone system, tried to do it but, when it comes right down to it, I am really not a detail oriented person. I take a very relaxed approach to exposure and development. Often, I'll take an incident reading or two and compare it to what ever estimate I may have come up with in my head and shoot. I take notes with every sheet of 4x5 that I expose and compare the end result with my notes... I make a some mistakes.

My 9am-7pm work-a-day life is all about keeping track of details and having every little mistake pointed out (by the compiler which demands perfection and by over zealous peers and managers) so, by the time I set up the big camera, I don't have a lot of energy around perfection.

I guess that makes me more of a Weston.

interesting question. I look forward to reading others' views.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin