Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,047   Online: 767

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Milky unused fixer. No good?

I've got a gallon of arista oderless fixer that i opened and have been using for 11 months. I opened it today to see its got flaky stuff floating around and it's kinda milky. I filtered it then tried it on two sheets and it seems okay. I could replace it tomorrow. Should i hold off processing tonight or will it be okay?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    After using it for 11 months I would be very inclined to dispose of it and make new fixer.

There is a test reagent available from Photographer's Formulary that will tell you about your fixer's condition.

Fixing and washing are the two most important considerations to the archival qualities of your print.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With acid fixers it's a race against time as they are unstable. The sodium sulfite in them protects against sulfurization but is eventually used up. You might be able to squeeze another month or so out your fixer by adding a small amount of sodium sulfite to it, say about 15 grams per liter. However, if it has already seen heavy use and there is a lot of silver in it then is best to chuck it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This fixer isn't used. It's a one gallon container which i opened last year and have been using to dilute for films and paper. I don't reuse fixer.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    This fixer isn't used. It's a one gallon container ...
    If that one gallon had been split into four quarts
    you may have had another eleven months. Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin