Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,576   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooting Kodak Technical Pan

I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on a quite a bit of Kodak Technical Pan even though it has been discontinued, and I've gotten excellent results shooting it in sunny as well as slightly overcast conditions, rated at either ISO 25 or 50.

What other film, rated ISO 25, shot handheld at 1/125 sec. and F5.6 from the top of the Empire State Building could give you a tack sharp 20 x 24 print of the East Side of Manhattan??

I've heard that this film can be rated up to either 200 or 320. Is this true? Is there anyone who has gotten good results shooting it above ISO 50?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Efke 25 from jandcphoto.com
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetrayne
    I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on a quite a bit of Kodak Technical Pan even though it has been discontinued, and I've gotten excellent results shooting it in sunny as well as slightly overcast conditions, rated at either ISO 25 or 50.

What other film, rated ISO 25, shot handheld at 1/125 sec. and F5.6 from the top of the Empire State Building could give you a tack sharp 20 x 24 print of the East Side of Manhattan??

I've heard that this film can be rated up to either 200 or 320. Is this true? Is there anyone who has gotten good results shooting it above ISO 50?
    I always expose it at 100iso. it is amazing for portraits!

develop in 6 min - continous agitation - in TETENAL Neofin DOKU.
    just remember to pre rinse the film. (about 4 min in tap water..)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back when they announced that T-Pan was a goner, it re-spurred some interest in the freezer stock I had from some years back. I had used TechPan developer years ago with some success but didn't have any around so I tried some remaining WD2D+ that I had. The results were the best I remember from Tech Pan. I only did a couple of test rolls but if I return to any use of it, I would defiinitely start there again. I decided to put my energy into films that would continue to be available and I usually don't rely on 35mm (which is what I was dealing with) for serious, hi-res work anyway. The highlights were very well controlled with this combo. Just thought I'd mention it if you're looking at options/directions to try. I was getting by at 25 on this short test and it seemed to be about right.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Craig, can you give us times, agitation, temps, etc?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Imagelink HQ at EI 50.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Well, if ISO 25 isn't a major point, TMY will do this just fine -- in 6x9 cm format, of course. And with the higher speed, you can stop down *and* use a faster shutter, so a better chance of getting a good shot on the first go.

Tech Pan is supposed to be rated at EI 320 for document imaging, but that's when developed to some huge contrast index; it's certainly not suitable for pictorial use with that development.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Has anyone developed Tech Pan in Pyrocat-HD? If so, what kind of times did you use?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to shoot a fair amount of Tech Pan in 35mm. I developed it mainly in C41 developer and Photographer's Formulary's TD-3. I prefered the latter, as it gave slightly higher film speed and lower contrast than the color developer.

While I've seen lots of claims of high film speeds with Tech Pan, my densitometer has never born that out. E.I. 16 was the best I could achieve. Ultimately, I decided that moving up in format size was the way to go, and so I haven't looked into TP or other document films any further. (At the moment my FM2's are caput, which is a shame.)

However, I recently bought a film scanner, and I've revisted lots of my early 35mm work. TP scans really, really well.

One developer that I'd seriously look into for use with document films is Ethol's TEC. I've not used it myself, but a long time participant on rec.photo.darkroom, John Hick highly recommended it. John runs well controlled tests on films, and in the instances where we tested the same materials, we always got very similar results. I forget exactly what EI John got with TEC, but it was at least a true EI of 50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    I always expose it at 100iso. it is amazing for portraits!

develop in 6 min - continous agitation - in TETENAL Neofin DOKU.
    just remember to pre rinse the film. (about 4 min in tap water..)
    The developer that you mention, has been discontinued.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin