Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,542   Online: 1057

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

JOBO 2521 & Pyrocat: Capacity

I'm of the impression that 4X5 negs developed in Pyrocat needs a minimum of 75mL per film. Six sheets would require at least 450mL in the drum.

Jobo say's the 2521 drum will handle 1500mL for INVERSION processing and 270mL for 6 4X5 is all that is needed.

Is anybody using the CPE+ with lift and the 2521 drum to develop Pyrocat, could you tell me what capacity you use?

TIA,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The rotary numbers can be exceeded. With the 2551 I've been known to stick 1 litre of fluid in the thing. If you're worried if the tank will handle 450ml just stick some water in it and test it out. Sorry best I can do.

Bruce,

In the unblinkingeye.com article Sandy King cites 50ml Pyrocat HD per 4x5in film. I have read in a subsequent post from sandy to use a 1.5:1:100 ratio in the Jobo. I have been using 300ml of 1.5:1:100 in this Jobo tank using continuous agitation with up to 6 5x4 in the tank with no noticeable problem. I also use the metol variant of Pyrocat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce,

I started going up to 450ml in those tanks when I started using dillute XTOL. Never had any problems.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    I'm of the impression that 4X5 negs developed in Pyrocat needs a minimum of 75mL per film. Six sheets would require at least 450mL in the drum.

Jobo say's the 2521 drum will handle 1500mL for INVERSION processing and 270mL for 6 4X5 is all that is needed.

Is anybody using the CPE+ with lift and the 2521 drum to develop Pyrocat, could you tell me what capacity you use?

TIA,
    Bruce,

50-60 ml of developer per 4X5 sheet is about ideal.

If you are developing for silver printing the 1:1:100 will work fine. However, if developing for alternative printing, where you need longer development times for more contrast, use a 1.5:1:100 dilution. (That would be 15 ml of A + 10 ml of B in water to make 1000 ml. )

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    FWIW - I use the Job for standard inversion aggitation and find that 1.25L is necessary to completely cover the film - and give even stain. When I used 1L, I had an edge of the 4x5 film that did not stain properly and the same with the fixer.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a CPE+ with lift and the 2521 drum to develop up to twelve 4 x 5 negs at a time with 580 ml of developer (TMAX-RS diluted 1:9). Given the JOBO's continuous agitation I have never had any uniformity problems.

JOBO warns about undue motor wear when using larger developer quantities with this tank/film combination, and thus have limited my quantities accordingly.

Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin