Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,156   Online: 952

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It occurs to me that no one has asked you what you like in a negative: fine grain, acutance, smooth tonality, ability to capture a wide dynamic range? In general - pick one, and the developer will be obvious. Getting all four, well, many seek, but few find.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    It occurs to me that no one has asked you what you like in a negative: fine grain, acutance, smooth tonality, ability to capture a wide dynamic range?
    Good point above. That said, I have found Clayton F-76+ to be a beautful developer for delta 400 Pro. See the link below
    Vain Curiosity

I actually like it a little bit better than Ilford's DD-X, but it's a close shave. I'd say use which ever one you can obtain easier and cheaper. Ilford Micropen powder works well too. Avoid Rodinal or Ilford Ilfosol for the Delta 400

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am looking for something close to xtol. so fine grain, acutance and good tonality.

I've been reading around and I think I will be trying dd-x.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For roll film and 5x4 (Delta 400 and Delta 100) I use FG-7 at 1+15, no sodium sulphite. EIs are 200 and 50 respectively with reduced times and one full inversion per minute. I do not use much 35mm these days, and this wouldn't be my first choice for small formats.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    DD-X or Tmax!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For Delta 400, my vote is for Paterson FX-39. By far the sharpest developer I have ever used. Try 1:14 for 12 minutes at 68deg
    In the description of FX-37, Geoffrey Crawley said that it was balanced to produce the best results for Tmax and Delta films. Following the usual progression of British Journal developers, I am assuming that FX-39 is a variant of FX-37.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FX-39 is a proprietary developer from Paterson. One might assume it is similar to FX-37 since the same person developed it. But there is no real way to know. My only complaint is that it 'goes off' about 6-8 weeks after opening the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    In the description of FX-37, Geoffrey Crawley said that it was balanced to produce the best results for Tmax and Delta films. Following the usual progression of British Journal developers, I am assuming that FX-39 is a variant of FX-37.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FX-39 is a proprietary developer from Paterson. My only complaint is that it 'goes off' about 6-8 weeks after opening the bottle.
    This seems to be a general complaint for Paterson developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tmax
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    In my own personal attempt not to use Kodak products, I am wondering what works best with Delta 400 in 35mm and 120 ?

In the past I have used xtol but wish to switch to Ilford products. I will still be using Pan F+ and rodinal but I need a 400 speed film for my xpan.

thanks,
    david b in santa fe

Delta 400 has been my standard 400 film for many years. For the past ten years, I've used a similar formula to Pat Gainer's PC as a one-shot, mixing it fresh (it takes literally 2 minutes to mix) before each session. If I am going to be developing 4 120 rolls in the same session (I have a tank that holds 2 120 or 4 35mm rolls), I can re-use the same liter of developer, increasing the time for the second batch by 20%.

The formula is simplicity itself and gives great results--extremely fine grain, great accutance, and long tonal scale. Negs are very easy to print.

I use teaspoon measurements for ease, but I'll include gram equivalents.

1 liter water
    1 tsp. (6 g) sodium metaborate
    1/2 tsp. (4g) ascorbic acid (Vitamin C powder or crystals)
    4 ml 1% Phenidone stock (1 g phenidone dissolved in 100 ml 90% rubbing alcohol.)

Time: 6:30 at 70F. Agitate for 5 seconds every minute.

For slower films (D-100, ACROS, etc.) I increase developing time to 9-10 minutes, or, if I really want the shorter times, I substitute 1 tsp. (5g) Sodium Carbonate (Washing soda) for the metaborate. This is a smashing developer for ACROS.

The cost of mixing your own, besides the two minutes it takes to throw these ingredients into a liter of water and stir, is much, much cheaper than commercial developers. A bottle of Vitamin C powder will last years, as will a small container of phenidone. Arm & Hammer Washing Soda costs about $3 at the grocery store. The metaborate is also cheap and long-lasting from a chemical store, or you can make it yourself. Search this site for Pat Gainer's formula.

Larry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin