Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,900   Online: 1162

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I am looking for something close to xtol. so fine grain, acutance and good tonality.

I've been reading around and I think I will be trying dd-x.
    Xtol is Kodak's Ascorbate developer.

Ilford's Ascorbate developer is Ilfosol S (Phenidone/Hydroquinone/Ascorbate dissolved in water). I would expect long term stability problems with this one.

Ilfotec DDX is a Phenidone/Hydroquinone developer, the solvent is Diethylene Glycol - no water. I would expect this one to last forever - as a stock concentrate. Should be similar to Kodak's HC-110 and/or TMAX.

Ilfotec DDX

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...s/00110220.pdf

Ilfosol-S

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...s/00110065.pdf
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've like Xtol with it. The whole hate the big yellow company thing is not going to stop me from using a developer that I like and that i would like to see stay around. People jobs also depend on sales and hopefully their american jobs.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I use stock Perceptol at 320asa. The Delta 400/Perceptol combo is all I shoot with my Veriwide. I have 12x20 enlargements from its 6x10 format 120 neg that show no grain. The edge transitions are almost as sharp as etchings.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=srs5694]Chemically speaking, the closest I'm aware of to an XTOL equivalent among commercial developers is Paterson FX-50. Like XTOL, it's a phenidone/vitamin C (PC) developer. It's very different in many other respects, though, and I don't know how similar the results are (I've never used FX-50). I don't know what the closest equivalent is in terms of the effects of the developer.

I would steer well clear of FX50. I tried it about 18 months ago and the keeping qualities leave a great deal to be desired! It went off just a few days after opening the bottles. FX39, however, is a great developer and highly recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had been focused on other films and had quite a bit of 35mm D400 in the freezer that I hadn't gotten around to sorting out. Last winter, I decided to use some of it while following my son's ski team around to meets. I played with various developers and found the film to be quite flexible and I believe you could tune most developers to reasonably good results. The one that really seemed adapted well and gave very easy-to-print results was Ryuji's DS-10. I was getting good shadow detail at 320 and the highlights were easily tamed/controlled. I was able to take good in-chalet shots with available light and also have the same rolls hold up for on-slope action shooting. It showed excellent grain restraint but had a nice, "edgie" look that made eyelashes, etc stand out nicely and add to apparent sharpness. Skin tones had a nice, smooth look, also.
    Craig Schroeder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin