Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,077   Online: 897

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilford Delta 400 and what developer ?

In my own personal attempt not to use Kodak products, I am wondering what works best with Delta 400 in 35mm and 120 ?

In the past I have used xtol but wish to switch to Ilford products. I will still be using Pan F+ and rodinal but I need a 400 speed film for my xpan.

thanks,
    david b in santa fe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like Perceptol at EI 200, D-76 at EI 400, and you could just as well substitute ID-11 for D-76.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is there an xtol equivalent?

I will probably end up with ID-11 but I am thinking on trying them all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For Delta 400, my vote is for Paterson FX-39. By far the sharpest developer I have ever used. Try 1:14 for 12 minutes at 68deg

Quote Originally Posted by david b
    In my own personal attempt not to use Kodak products, I am wondering what works best with Delta 400 in 35mm and 120 ?

In the past I have used xtol but wish to switch to Ilford products. I will still be using Pan F+ and rodinal but I need a 400 speed film for my xpan.

thanks,
    david b in santa fe

Shooter
    35mm
    Is there an xtol equivalent?
    Chemically speaking, the closest I'm aware of to an XTOL equivalent among commercial developers is Paterson FX-50. Like XTOL, it's a phenidone/vitamin C (PC) developer. It's very different in many other respects, though, and I don't know how similar the results are (I've never used FX-50). I don't know what the closest equivalent is in terms of the effects of the developer.

If you're willing to mix your own developer, your options open up. Some PC developers I've seen include:

• An XTOL formula based on its patent filing, or a variant of it. Note that XTOL uses a rather exotic preservative. As I understand it, you can omit it with the consequence of poorer long-term storage, or you can substitute EDTA (as per this post; search for "EDTA"). Note that I've tried neither; I'm just passing on information I've read.
    • Suzuki's DS-10 and DS-12 developers. (Actually, DS-12 uses metol.) These are aimed at being fine-grained and acutance developers, respectively, with keeping qualities superior to XTOL. Suzuki's approach is to use various chemicals as preservatives, which makes the formulas a bit complex compared to some others.
    • Paul Lewis's Mytol or a variant of it.
    • Chris Patton's E-76, which is supposed to work a lot like D-76. (It's basically a PC-based version of D-76.)
    • Several developers created by Patrick Gainer, including PC-TEA and PC-Glycol. I don't have any URL's handy, but try a Web and/or Usenet search, or buy the March/April 2004 back issue of Photo Techniques Magazine. PC-TEA and PC-Glycol are both very simple and are aimed at good long-term storage by keeping water away from the components that it helps degrade. Some of Gainer's earlier experiments in the field of PC developers are available at Unblinking Eye.

Note that I've not used most of these myself, just PC-Glycol. I fully intend to try some of the others, but I just haven't gotten around to them yet. So far, I like PC-Glycol pretty well. Unless otherwise noted, I'd assume poor long-term storage characteristics. Note that some of these (particularly Gainer's simpler formulations) aren't much more difficult to mix than commercial XTOL, so if you shy away from this sort of thing because of the complexity, IMHO you're doing yourself a disservice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you may find that Delta rather likes Ilford's own HC developer.

I used to have FG7 and the "T" variant smuggled to me in Hawaii for Delta 400 as well

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Delta 100 and Delta 400 both work very well indeed in Pyrocat-HD.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XTOL!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

thanks,
    david b in santa fe
    DD-X or Microphen
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Undiluted ID11, DDX, and Xtol. Never tried Microphen. Very unhappy with diluted IDll
    or D76.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin