Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,903   Posts: 1,555,828   Online: 754

Shooter
    Multi Format

Decanting HC-110

Would it be safe to decant my developer into smaller,sterile 500ml water bottles. These containers come from my bottled water guy and are sealed at the plant with fresh H2o. Thought I would pour the water into a glass and top off the plastic units with HC-110 adding marbles to keep the liquid level with the bottles brim.
    Any unforeseen problems?
    Thank You,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have done the same with some glass bottles I bought from Photographer's Formulary (500ml with screw top). I also bought a 6 ml Mixing Syringe that has a long tube to get at the bottom of the bottle.

It seems to be working for me.. Just make sure there is no water in the bottles. Dry completely when you dump out the water.

Regards,
    John

jon
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried the marbles with decanted HC110 and it's so thick I just ended up wasting developer as it coated the marbles. Draining it off the marbles was a pain, but it was worth it -- you'd be surprised how much can cling to them.

I'm prety sure it'll keep fairly well without them anyways, or just use some dust-off to force out the air.
    Jon :: 18pct.com
    :: photoblog | tumblr | twitter | flickr | linkedin ::

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    Would it be safe to decant my developer into smaller,sterile 500ml water bottles. Any unforeseen problems?
    Depends on the type of plastic the bottles are made from. The main problem would be oxygen diffusing through the plastic. PETE polyethylene terephthalate) and PVC (polyvinyl chloride) are better at protecting against oxidation than other plastics. You can identify the plastic by the recycle number inside the triangle on the bottle. PETE is 1 and PVC is 3.

However, for long term storage, which I think is what you intend, I would recommend glass rather than plastic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use small (4 oz) amber glass bottles with...hmmm, can't think of the name but the caps have a plastic cone inside that makes 'em seal really well. These I purchase from a local chem lab supply place. They are cheap....$0.80 each for the bottles and $0.24 for the caps. When I open a new bottle of HC-110, I immediately decant the entire contents into the little glass bottles...

Never bothered with marbles, "blowing out the air" or, any of that...not really worth it. The concentrate keeps very well and I run through the little bottles much faster than the stuff can go bad. It turns color a little bit but that does not seem to have a significant effect on results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HC-110? why? It has a very long life and doesn't oxidize.

If it was Xtol or D76 I'd say your approach is correct but for HC-110, Rodinal and a couple others why bother?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Indeed. I have to agree. I only decant to smaller bottles for the convenience. It's much easier to get the syring into the little glass bottle than t is to reach it down into the big Kodak bottle.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's syrup, it's fine to decant -- I broke up my first pint into four 4-ounce bottles, originally sold with grape juice (for kids). Clearly relabeled and stored in a home with no children, I might add. The last of that pint was used up about a year after I opened the big bottle, still perfect in every way. The next time I bought the bigger bottle; it's in a pair of 12 ounce glass jars and a couple of those same plastic bottles. I expect it'll be fine for the foreseeable future.

If you're really worried about it, you could get a can of butane lighter fuel and (away from sparks and flames) shoot a little of the fuel into the top of the open bottle just before closing it each time you use some. I don't think it's necessary, but it doesn't seem to hurt.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    HC-110? why? It has a very long life and doesn't oxidize.
    This is true. I've used HC110 concentrate sitting on the shelf for God knows how long; was really brown. NO problem. This is one of the reasons I've used it for so many years.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin