Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,095   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's a link to freezing: http://colddog.ath.cx/
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgrey
    Going to develop a roll of Foma 400 latter; meant to do it a few days ago but wasn’t sure which dev to use so I had a look around the net for some inspiration.
    FWIW, I've started using Fomapan 400 (in 35mm) as my standard ISO 400 film. There's something about the grain pattern that I find appealing, but I can't quite describe what it is, I'm afraid; it's a very subjective reaction. Anyhow, I started out using D-76, but I've recently been using Gainer's PC-Glycol (1:1:48 dilution for 10:00 at 20C works well for me, if you care to try it). I'm satisfied with the results I get in either developer, but I'm new enough to B&W that I still haven't gotten a good handle on all the subtleties, and of course your preferences just might differ from mine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    FWIW, I've started using Fomapan 400 (in 35mm) as my standard ISO 400 film. There's something about the grain pattern that I find appealing, but I can't quite describe what it is, I'm afraid; it's a very subjective reaction. Anyhow, I started out using D-76, but I've recently been using Gainer's PC-Glycol (1:1:48 dilution for 10:00 at 20C works well for me, if you care to try it). I'm satisfied with the results I get in either developer, but I'm new enough to B&W that I still haven't gotten a good handle on all the subtleties, and of course your preferences just might differ from mine.
    Hi srs. Yes, agree, it does have something about it that I like too; not sure if this says it for you but to me it's sort of, soft and moody. Not dead sharp or clinically clean, more, atmospheric, if that's the correct term. I dev'd it in Rodinal at 1-24; possibly not the best choice but didn't have any ID11 ready and it was only a quick test roll. Not really doing it justice viewing it on a monitor (darkroom not up and running yet) but yes, a film I'm going to spend some time on. One point, is it me or is the emulsion a bit thin? Seems to scratch easy? Did you shoot it at full speed, ie, 400? I was going to give the next roll a bath in Ilfosol (got to use it up) so I'll put your dev on my short list.

All the best

B.

Shooter
    35mm
    One point, is it me or is the emulsion a bit thin? Seems to scratch easy?
    The film base as a whole is certainly thinner than average. The 100-foot bulk roll I bought (rebadged, under the Arista.EDU Ultra label from Freestyle) came on an extra-large plastic spool, effectively taking up space in the center of the roll to make the entire 100-foot roll the same diameter as other 100-foot rolls, despite the thinner base. That said, I don't know if the emulsion itself is any thinner or easier to scratch than average.

Did you shoot it at full speed, ie, 400?
    Yes. I did that for my first couple of rolls in D-76 just because I didn't want to do full film tests. When I decided to standardize on the film, I used this procedure (see here for part 2) and got a "true" film speed of ISO 320-400 in Gainer's PC-Glycol, at 1:1:48 dilution and 10:00 development time at 20C. (My camera gave me the same aperture and f-stop at both ISO values, so I'm not sure which one's more accurate.) That said, I've seen many comments on the net to the effect that Fomapan 400 has a true speed that's more like ISO 200 or 250. I'm not sure how to reconcile the difference; perhaps I did something wrong in my tests, or maybe my camera's meter is off, or maybe PC-Glycol just does a better job of getting the rated speed from this film than do most others.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes. I did that for my first couple of rolls in D-76 just because I didn't want to do full film tests. When I decided to standardize on the film, I used this procedure (see here for part 2) and got a "true" film speed of ISO 320-400 in Gainer's PC-Glycol, at 1:1:48 dilution and 10:00 development time at 20C. (My camera gave me the same aperture and f-stop at both ISO values, so I'm not sure which one's more accurate.) That said, I've seen many comments on the net to the effect that Fomapan 400 has a true speed that's more like ISO 200 or 250. I'm not sure how to reconcile the difference; perhaps I did something wrong in my tests, or maybe my camera's meter is off, or maybe PC-Glycol just does a better job of getting the rated speed from this film than do most others.
    Now that is interesting. Last night I developed a (quickie) test roll of 400 in Rodinal @1-25. I shot 12@400, 12@320, and 12@250. The 400 was thin-ish though would print with a bit of work, the 320 was fine and the 250 a little over done, so your 320 maybe not be so out for the way you/we work: And maybe PC-Glycol does help? See if I can find/purloin some Glycol so I can try out your setup as I think this film is definitely worth spending time on. I'll try 400/ID11 during the week and see what that's like. Just a thought, but do you aggitate following the film or developer instructions: or, like me, use my own little rhythm that seems to have crept in over time.

All the best
    B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Last night I developed a (quickie) test roll of 400 in Rodinal @1-25. I shot 12@400, 12@320, and 12@250. The 400 was thin-ish though would print with a bit of work, the 320 was fine and the 250 a little over done, so your 320 maybe not be so out for the way you/we work: And maybe PC-Glycol does help? See if I can find/purloin some Glycol so I can try out your setup as I think this film is definitely worth spending time on. I'll try 400/ID11 during the week and see what that's like. Just a thought, but do you aggitate following the film or developer instructions: or, like me, use my own little rhythm that seems to have crept in over time.
    I agitate in a fairly normal way: 5 seconds every 30 seconds. Be aware that how dense the negatives look when you examine them by eye has as much to do with development time as it does with exposure. The references I provided specify a way to find the best ISO speed and development for a given film. The procedure's a pain, but the claim is that printing will be much easier and better if it's followed. I still haven't shot enough film post-test to evaluate that claim, though.

Propylene glycol is fairly easy to come by; I used "environmentally-friendly" anti-freeze. Gainer's first experiments used ethylene glycol anti-freeze. Although that stuff's not as environmentally friendly as propylene glycol, if you happen to have it and the other ingredients, I'm sure mixing up 100ml of PC-Glycol's solution A using ethylene glycol wouldn't do a lot of environmental damage.

Shooter
    35mm
    Propylene glycol is fairly easy to come by; I used "environmentally-friendly" anti-freeze. Gainer's first experiments used ethylene glycol anti-freeze. Although that stuff's not as environmentally friendly as propylene glycol, if you happen to have it and the other ingredients, I'm sure mixing up 100ml of PC-Glycol's solution A using ethylene glycol wouldn't do a lot of environmental damage.
    Excellent. Now I know what to look for I'll definitely give it a try. Quite enjoy mixing/making up my own brews; Coffee's next on the list, well, unless I find a cheap pack of vitamin 'C' tablets in Tesco's. Talking of Tesco's: My dear old mum who's 80 something had a puncture this morning as she drove into Tesco's car park in Epping. After phoning me and moaning for 20 mins because I couldn't get there straight away, if not sooner (I live 30 miles way---wish it was 3000 sometimes) she wandered off to get help. Came back on the phone a few minutes later all cheerful. Seems that Tesco's will call the RAC and cover the cost if you have been shopping there. Next time it's Hissing down and I get a puncture I'm going to crawl into a Tesco's, car park, buy a photo mag and a bar of chocolate and sit back in comfort and wait!

B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin