Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,599   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

To freeze or not to freeze; that, is the question?

Hi all. Can concentrate developer such as Rodinal/HC110/FX-50 etc etc etc be frozen? Subject came up in a conversation the other day; made me think.....yes, it hurt!

Take care all.

B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't know the answer to this one, but would like to!

It wouldn't matter for Rodinal (the stuff lasts so long you eventually find it's up and moved to Eastborne (okay, Florida for our colonial bretheren!)) but DDX on the other hand...

Assuming it doesn't oxidise while frozen and any separation can be cured with a quick stir (two assumptions which may not be valid)...

I've just had a vision of little pots of frozen DDX waiting until my next processing run of Delta 400, and no more expensive dev getting slung out 'cos I don't use a litre within n months! Hmmm....

Thoughts anyone?
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

I put all developers in 4 oz glass bottles including D76, Rodinal, and HC110. Rodinal activity does change by about 10%.

Work from one of the small bottles and when it gets to half, refill from one of the other ones. You will achieve a decient level of stability that way.

With the smaller bottles filled, the shelf life is the same as the original container as purchased.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Don't know the answer to this one, but would like to!

It wouldn't matter for Rodinal (the stuff lasts so long you eventually find it's up and moved to Eastborne (okay, Florida for our colonial bretheren!)) but DDX on the other hand...

Assuming it doesn't oxidise while frozen and any separation can be cured with a quick stir (two assumptions which may not be valid)...

I've just had a vision of little pots of frozen DDX waiting until my next processing run of Delta 400, and no more expensive dev getting slung out 'cos I don't use a litre within n months! Hmmm....

Thoughts anyone?
    Ah Eastborne! The land of Zimmer frames and blue rinse! Hi Frank. I know I've read somewhere about someone freezing large amounts of Rodinal without any adverse effects. True it takes ages to use up well for me it does as I don't develop films every day so anyway of preserving a dev be it Rodinal or whatever is to my mind an advantage. Like Ronald, I decant into small glass bottles, seems to help in some way; even Ilfosol s seems to appreciate the move from it's cheapo accommodation to a more up market des res, though I've never thought about topping up as Ronald advises; think I'll give that a go, though I was thinking more along the lines of a use/freeze routine, though I'm probably way off! I've not tried DDX, what's it's shelf/working life?

B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should not freeze any developer concentrates. Doing so may cause certain ingredients to come out of solution which can be very hard, if impossible, to redissolve. Nor should you place any in the refrigerator unless the manufacturer specifically recommends this. I know of only one developer, Ethol T.E.C., where this is recommended.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    DD-X allegedly lasts about 2 years unopened or 6 months in a half-used bottle. As it isn't cheap, comes in 1 litre bottles only, dilutes 1:4 and is therefore good for about 16 rolls of 135, I tend to wait until I've got quite a few rolls waiting, open a bottle and then batch process them (not fun).

With paper devs, if it's past its use by date then it's no big deal. With film devs I take no chances!

Thanks for the response, Gerald. I knew it was too good to be true!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    You should not freeze any developer concentrates. Doing so may cause certain ingredients to come out of solution which can be very hard, if impossible, to redissolve. Nor should you place any in the refrigerator unless the manufacturer specifically recommends this. I know of only one developer, Ethol T.E.C., where this is recommended.

Doh! And there I was ready to buy/freeze 1000 gallons of Rodinal! Thanks Gerald, saved me a packet. Frank: have you tried HC110 with Neopan; works really well, and the 1ltr concentrate is supposed to last an age! Tetrisattack over on the RFF put me on to it, take a look at his shots, really impressive. The Jessops Econodev I bought the other day dilutes at 1-49, so a bottle of 500ml should do (think my calculator needs looking at) 80-ish rolls of 36 in a 300ml tank! No; can't be? Guy in Jessops reckons its Ilford, though he couldn't say which one. I know it's not Ilfosol s!

All the best

B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips, Shades. I'm actually trying to standardise on certain film/dev combinations and learn what they will and won't do and how to get the most out of them.

My current favourite is Delta 100 in Rodinal 1:25 (currently halfway through a Blakemore-style speed/development test to try and separate the tones a little better). I may be seduced into a dalliance with Prescysol at some future date, but I want to get to know this setup properly first.

Occasionally I'll use Delta 400 rated at 500 ISO in DD-X (as per Ilford's datasheet). If I'm really desperate for speed then I'll use Delta 3200 again in DD-X but processed for the next speed up (i.e. shoot for 3200 ISO, process for 6400 ISO).

I have heard (from a source that I personally trust implicitly) that Jessops own-brand chemistry is pretty poor stuff compared with most other options. However, your mileage may vary!

Best regards,

Frank

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    I have heard (from a source that I personally trust implicitly) that Jessops own-brand chemistry is pretty poor stuff compared with most other options. However, your mileage may vary!

Best regards,

Frank
    Hi Frank. Agree with your learning curve; I spent ages learning (still am) about Neopan. Used Delta 400 all the time before that (fantastic film) then saw Neo 400 on special offer one day so I gave it a try, been my standard 400 ever since.

I really do miss Delta sometimes, but for the price I can buy Neo at, well, it makes sense to use it. Mind you, if Ilford brought the price down then Iíd really have to go back to the drawing board.

I spent sometime with HP5, like it in some ways, though it always looks dirty, sort of blocked up to me. And on a monitor (No darkroom at the moment due to moving house) it always looks so grainy? Maybe itís the way I develop it?

Going to develop a roll of Foma 400 latter; meant to do it a few days ago but wasnít sure which dev to use so I had a look around the net for some inspiration.

I love Delta 3200; not used that much of it, but Iíd like to. Hey, have you tried it with Ilfosol s? Iím sure Iíve read that itís a surprising (as in rewarding) mix?

Would your source that you personally trust implicitly have the initials, LM? Yes, Iíve heard that too, but well, got to try these things once in a life timeÖÖ on my brotherís films of course!

All the best

B

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgrey
    Would your source that you personally trust implicitly have the initials, LM?
    Um, "I can neither confirm nor deny this rumour", that would be for the person in question to do.

I haven't tried Delta 3200 in Ilfosol S. Let me know if you do and have any joy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin