Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,991   Online: 802

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    There was no requirement for extending development time with each roll. That and the claim of 25 rolls per quart are why I remember it so vividly. I was using it in the 1970's and I'm sure phenidone had been invented.
    Phenidone was proposed as a developing agent by J. D. Kendall in an English patent in 1942. It did not come into anything like popular use until the 50's. Hyfinol had been available before WWII, and I personally find it doubtful that Ansco would reformulate it to contain phenidone particularly since its use was patented by Ilford. Sadly, GAF closed down their photography unit in 1977 so we will never know for certain.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Phenidone was proposed as a developing agent by J. D. Kendall in an English patent in 1942. It did not come into anything like popular use until the 50's. Hyfinol had been available before WWII, and I personally find it doubtful that Ansco would reformulate it to contain phenidone particularly since its use was patented by Ilford. Sadly, GAF closed down their photography unit in 1977 so we will never know for certain.
    At the time I was using Hyfinol and Super Hypan film, I was working for NASA. I had access to a book which was a compilation of articles translated from Russian which appeared to be mostly translated from English. I guess we wanted to know if they knew what we know. I wish I had that book now, for old times sake. I had need of that book because some of my research projects involved photographic processes. Not their design but their use. We had a lot of fun doing good research on a low budget
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Compact Photo Lab Index, Morgan and Morgan, 1977 lists:

GAF HYFINOL DEVELOPER
    High energy developer in ready-to-mix single powder form. It produces negatives with extremely fine grain, moderate contrast and maximum image sharpness, without lowering film speed.

CONTRAST
    Negatives developed in Hyfinol have moderate contrast.

DEVELOPING TIME
    At 68 deg. F average developing time in Hyfinol is 7 minutes.

WORKING LIFE
    One gallon unreplenished Hyfinol will uniformly develop about 100 rolls of 120 size film (developing time increase is not required).

STORAGE LIFE
    Unopened package (HYFINOL).............Indefinitely (under 90 deg. F)
    Full bottle, used................................3-6 months
    Partially filled bottle...........................Up to 1 month

GAF 17M FINE GRAIN METABORATE TANK DEVELOPER appears to share several of HYFINOL's attributes (but must be replenished to maintain capacity and development time). GAF 17M is a Metol/Hydroquinone/Metaborate developer
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks to everyone. I will post results.
    John
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    The Compact Photo Lab Index, Morgan and Morgan, 1977 lists:

GAF HYFINOL DEVELOPER
    High energy developer in ready-to-mix single powder form. It produces negatives with extremely fine grain, moderate contrast and maximum image sharpness, without lowering film speed.

CONTRAST
    Negatives developed in Hyfinol have moderate contrast.

DEVELOPING TIME
    At 68 deg. F average developing time in Hyfinol is 7 minutes.

WORKING LIFE
    One gallon unreplenished Hyfinol will uniformly develop about 100 rolls of 120 size film (developing time increase is not required).

STORAGE LIFE
    Unopened package (HYFINOL).............Indefinitely (under 90 deg. F)
    Full bottle, used................................3-6 months
    Partially filled bottle...........................Up to 1 month

GAF 17M FINE GRAIN METABORATE TANK DEVELOPER appears to share several of HYFINOL's attributes (but must be replenished to maintain capacity and development time). GAF 17M is a Metol/Hydroquinone/Metaborate developer
    Thanks, Tom, for the memories. (I guess that song was written about the same time.) It makes me feel better at my age when something I remember actually happened.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin