Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,471   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Amidol soluble in TEA or Glycol?

OK, I know this has been asked before, but I can not find/remember the answer. Is amidol soluble in either TEA or Propylene Glycol? If so, at what temperature?

Sandy

Images
    It's probably not going to be used alone. The pH requirements depend lso on whatever is used with the amidol. I have done both, and prefer to use glycol because it allows playing with the alkali. The following is a pretty good developer.

10 grams ascorbic or erythorbic acid.
    0.1 gram amidol
    Propylene glycol to 100 ml.

!0 ml of this in 250 ml water will require 2 ml of TEA to work in a reasonable time. With 10 ml TEA it will develop HP5+ or whatever the current Arista II in about 6 minutes. In this case, of course, you can figure that almost 2 ml went to neutralize the ascorbic acid.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, I mixed a bunch of Amidol stock concentrate in Propylene Glycol over a year ago. I have about 1500ml of the concentrate left and it is still fully active. I use it to mix Michael Smith's Azo developer recipe.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tom,

Was it very difficult to get the Amidol into solution with glycol? And what was the % solution you mixed. I tried to mix it with TEA but a lof of the Amidol settled out when the solution cooled.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Yep, I mixed a bunch of Amidol stock concentrate in Propylene Glycol over a year ago. I have about 1500ml of the concentrate left and it is still fully active. I use it to mix Michael Smith's Azo developer recipe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Tom,

Was it very difficult to get the Amidol into solution with glycol? And what was the % solution you mixed. I tried to mix it with TEA once but a lof of the Amidol settled out when the solution cooled.

Sandy
    Not very difficult to get most of it into solution. As a test, I heated 200ml of glycol to 140 F then stirred in 8 grams of amidol (magnetic stirrer/hotplate). The color of the solution was a deep Indigo. There was a very small amount of debris (particulates) in the bottom of the beaker that would not dissolve in glycol. I heated the solution to 160F with continuous stirring and the debris still did not dissolve. I cooled and then decanted the solution from the beaker and used it to make a liter of the MAS Amidol paper developer - the developer worked fine.

I then put a few ml of deionized water into the beaker and the debris immediately dissolved - forming a blue liquid. I tested the blue liquid with a small piece of exposed film and the film quickly turned black. Thus, I believe that the debris was just more amidol.

I subsequently (July, 2004) mixed another batch of Amidol/Glycol. I took 400ml of Propylene Glycol, heated it to 140F and stirred in 24 grams of Amidol, again, most of the amidol dissolved, but a small amount of debris remained in the bottom of the beaker. Then I cooled the solution and decanted everything into a 500ml bottle. I use 133 ml of this amidol stock solution (including any debris) together with the other ingredients from the MAS recipe to mix 1 liter of amidol print developer.

I am inclined to try dissolving the remaining debris from this bottle of Amidol stock solution - (in a small amount of water), if the debris dissolve like before, I'll mix a few ml of glycol into it and see how long it lasts before it oxidizes and dies.

If Pat Gainer reads this, I'd like him to comment.
    Tom Hoskinson

Images
    I'm off to the dungeon again to see if it would be profitable to separate amidol base from the HCl.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Pat, I eagerly await your report from "The Dungeon!"
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    I'm off to the dungeon again to see if it would be profitable to separate amidol base from the HCl.

I am just not able to get all of the amidol into solution with TEA. In fact, a whole lot of it goes out of solution when the TEA cools down. With the TEA mixed 1:1 with glycol it dissolved much faster, and I don't see any debris on the bottom, even when it cooled down.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I am just not able to get all of the amidol into solution with TEA. In fact, a whole lot of it goes out of solution when the TEA cools down. With the TEA mixed 1:1 with glycol it dissolved much faster, and I don't see any debris on the bottom, even when it cooled down.

Sandy
    Thanks Sandy, that's an interesting piece of information. How much Amidol did you get into the TEA/Glycol solution?

How does your TEA/Glycol/Amidol mixture behave? Have you tried mixing Michael Smith's Azo-Amidol Print Developer recipe with it?
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Thanks Sandy, that's an interesting piece of information. How much Amidol did you get into the TEA/Glycol solution?

How does your TEA/Glycol/Amidol mixture behave? Have you tried mixing Michael Smith's Azo-Amidol Print Developer recipe with it?

Well, it was an idea, but it does not appear to have worked. The solution appeared fine at first, but then when I mixed it to make a developer I got heavy staining.

Visually the solution now looks thick, muddy, murky and very black.

I await Gainer's report from the dungeon.

Sandy

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin