Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,588   Online: 1105

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilford Rapid Fix - no hardner?

Is the lack of hardner in Ilfords Rapid Fix going to be a probably with their 35mm and medium format films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I know Ilford rapidfix has no hardener, and I have been using it exclusively with all 35mm and 120 films without problems. I mostly use Ilford films, but other kinds like Kodak (which recommends hardener) and assorted others as well - all with NO ill effeect and negatives that are perfectly durable enough in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No.

Not many people use hardener these days, but if you want to, Ilford's Hypam fixer can be used with an additional Hypam hardener. They say not to use a hardener with Rapid Fixer. Data sheets at www.ilford.com.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Ilford rapid fixer for more than four years on 35MM and 120 films of Kodak, Ilford and Fuji without problems and some negatives are handled a good bit. You could add hardener, but why bother?
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hardener is not needed with film. This includes film with soft emulsions like Efke. Add hardener and you lengthen the washing time required.

Hardener should also not be used with paper that you intend to tone.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

I have all kinds of acid left from when I bought Kodak Rapid Fix. Never used it.

Today I use Alkaline TF4 from Photographer`s Formulary.

I don`t even use a water rinse between film develop and fix.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin