Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 877

Shooter
    35mm RF

Two-bath Microphen?

Anyone here tried to come up with two-bath variation of Microphen formula? My understanding is that it is necessary to separate alkali into the second bath; however what should I do with bohric acid?

Also, how two bath version would behave in comparision to the original? Would it still be good old Microphen or should I expect entirely different characteristics?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by varjag
    Anyone here tried to come up with two-bath variation of Microphen formula? My understanding is that it is necessary to separate alkali into the second bath; however what should I do with bohric acid?

Also, how two bath version would behave in comparision to the original? Would it still be good old Microphen or should I expect entirely different characteristics?
    You might try something like this:

A Solution

Water 750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite20 g
    Sodium Bisulfite 5 g
    Hydroquinone 5 g
    Phenidone 0.13 g
    Potassium Bromide 1 g
    Water to make 1000 ml

B Solution

Water 750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite 85 g
    Borax 7 g
    Boric Acid 2 g
    Water to make 1000 ml

Would it still be good old Microphen? NO! (this is actually a split version of ID-68 with some buffered sulfite in the A Bath)

I would try 3 minutes in A follwed by 3 minutes in B.

Good Luck!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you Tom!

What is the role of Sodium Bisulfite in this recipe? I don't have it in my formulary handy; can it be substituted by anything?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sodium bisulfite buffers the sodium sulfite and thus maintains the solution pH. At least, that's the theory. You can leave the sodium bisulfite out altogether - the developer will work without it.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can't just separate the ingredients into a Bath A and the boric acid and borax into a Bath B. Bath B has to be rather alkaline whether from borax, sodium metaborate, or even sodium carbonate.

What I would do is to use Microphen as the A bath and use a B bath made of 10 g/l of sodium carbonate. If this produces too much contrast then use a B bath consisting of 10 to 20g/l of borax. You will need to do some experimenting.

OR you could just use Diafine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not just Borax and Boric Acid in the B bath.

Sodium Sulfite 85 g
    Borax 7 g
    Boric Acid 2 g

That should make a sufficiently alkaline B bath. If it isn't alkaline enough, add some more Borax - or Sodium Metaborate - or Sodium Carbonate.
    Tom Hoskinson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin