Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,718   Online: 776

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tetenal Emofin + water (!!!)

I know most of you (especially the ones in the new parts of the world) have never tried to use Emofin. But you may have tried Diafine...

I don't know how similar the two developers are, but I have made some tests with Emofin and discovered something that might prove interesting:

By diluting the developer at twice the final volume than the one recommended (making 2+2 liters of working sol. instead of 1+1 with every couple of bottles), I can develop many films (especially Agfapan) with quite nice results.

I expose the films at the recommended E.I. and then use the recommended dev. times in each bath augmented by 50%.

The formula works fine with somewhat contrasty subjects (of course), like the ones we have here in our sunny country. 6-7 stops of subject contrast are OK, 5 can be fine if printed on a contrasty paper and a condenser head.

On the other hand, gradation and highlight contrast are great, shadow detail is fine. I won't speak about grain, as I don't usually shoot 35mm and/or fast films. I feel that grain is a natural ingredient of photography, anyway, and I wouldn't try to avoid it, would it come my way...

I can develop many films in 2+2 litres of the solution so this expensive soup starts to become more interesting, financially, by following this strange invention. It's also quite stable in stoppered bottles so I can use it for a long period of time without problems.

Does anyone have any experience with Emofin, apart the usual (recommended) use for speed gain ? Does anyone really know what it contains ?

I think that it's worth trying, if you usually have films that ask for N-1 or N-2 development (N-3 and N-4 too... hahaha). Of course, this is not something that can be of any use for scandinavian photographers, Ole... ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since Emofin is a two bath developer and can be used repeatedly, I fail to find any economy in diluting it. In deed, by diluting it you may adversely effect the life of the developer by reducing the sulfite content.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, Gerald you surely are right. It's a mistake to say that it becomes more economical by diluting it... Sorry.

It worked for me though, since I also use tanks that take more that 1 liter of solution in them, so when otherwise I would have to use two packs of Emofin, now I can work with only one at a time.

I have not checked if diluting it with more water affects its shelf life. I don't think I have the equipment needed to do that, anyway...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin