Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,465   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had shot a few rolls of FP4 and had them developed at a lab, and wasn't overly impressed with the film.

Anyway, I had one roll left, so tried it in Rodinal 1+100, and the results were quite impressive. Good tonal range, sharp and it was hard to spot the grain (but then it was 6x9!).

I've had good success with 1+100 dilutions, even with supposedly grainy films like APX400 (rated at 400).

Give the higher dilution a try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Peter, I have tried Rodinal, D-76 and Perceptol with FP4+ 120 at 125,80 and 64 iso and I like Ilfosol-S by far. Its the fastest (6 1/2 minutes at 20C for 125iso) and its gives me really great tones, sharpness and invisible grain. I am not sure how it achieves it but it excells it everything: iso, speed, tones, sharpness and grain! The only drawback is its tiny container and it's bad keeping quallities.
    Because the market for BW film photographers its tiny here, its the most available developer and so I never took it seriously, until I tried it. What a surprise!
    Of course I use it with medium format 6x6 film but I am sure you will also like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Questio on sodium sulfite - is it available anywhere other than chemistry supply outlets? I think I would like to try some "perverted rodinal" some day, perhaps not here necessarily, but its something that I think I would love to have up my sleeve
    It's available from pool supply stores (probably not much help there in Canada). You can have your photostore order from Brandess-Kalt-Aetna Group www.bkaphoto.com (fairly pricey). Probably the easiest is from Fotochem since they are in Quebec
    www.colba.net/~fotochem/index.htm. Two sites in US www.chemistrystore.com and www.techcheminc.com (they sell photochemicals at good prices).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys - I may go and buy some Ilfosol... simply because, well, any excuse to buy more stuff is a good one! If my wife asks I'll tell her Arigram told me to - you are in Greece, so reasonably safe from her wrath (I just got another camera...that she seems to think I didn't need... I don't get it...)

As far as the high dilution Rodinal is concerned, I know there are minimum amounts of rodinal they recommend for any solutions (I believe 7ml?) - now, I need about 300 ml of solution for my Paterson tank andone roll of 35mm. My question is, should I be concerned with the small actual amount of developer? Should I mix up more solution so that I have that 6 or 7 ml in there? Would this be considered "stand developing" with all the minimalist agitation that goes with it?

Thanks for all your input - as always, I am learning so much from all of you guys and want you to know how much I appreciate the time you take toshare your knowledge with me!

Peter.

PS Gerald - we have pools in Canada, you know! We just skate on them half the time Jokes aside, thanks for the purchasing tips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PS Gerald - we have pools in Canada, you know! We just skate on them half the time Jokes aside, thanks for the purchasing tips.
    Down here in Florida there is a pool supply place in every mall. But not all of them stock sodium sulfite. I don't know how far you'd have to drive and with the gas factored in it might be cheaper to order on the web. This stuff is cheap about US$3 a pound if you buy several pounds.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should also look into doing stand development... try your Rodinal at around 1:125 with minimal agitation (5 inversions in the 1st minute, then 2 every 15 mins) for 1 hour. You should look up the articles Steve Sherman has written on this technique (mostly done with Pyro-based developers) for a much better description of the process. If you can get your hands on one of the Pyro developers, I'd suggest that even more than Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Canada try JD PHOTOCHEM:

http://www.jdphotochem.com

Wonderful people to deal with! Their price on sodium sulfite is $3.00 USD a pound in 5 pound lots, $2.80 USD a pound in 10 pound lots. Smaller amounts are available at higher prices.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again guys - I really like the FP4+ and wanted to really see how many ways I can enjoy one of my favorite films with what I had at hand (or what Henry's can sell me...). I definitely have some ideas!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I may go and buy some Ilfosol... simply because, well, any excuse to buy more stuff is a good one! If my wife asks I'll tell her Arigram told me to - you are in Greece, so reasonably safe from her wrath (I just got another camera...that she seems to think I didn't need... I don't get it...)
    *sigh* women...
    I am so happy I can spend all of my money on photography and don't worry
    about bribing a female to keep her calm about my spending habbits!
    Good thing to know that I am far enough from yours, she seems dangerous from your description! I mean, after all, I just adviced you to try out a 5 buck film developer not start you up on heroin!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    *sigh* women...
    I am so happy I can spend all of my money on photography and don't worry
    about bribing a female to keep her calm about my spending habbits!
    Good thing to know that I am far enough from yours, she seems dangerous from your description! I mean, after all, I just adviced you to try out a 5 buck film developer not start you up on heroin!
    Hehehehee, its a case of worrying a straw may break the camel's back... even a $5 straw Seriously, feroucious as she is, she is very supportive - but she has that whole grown up "don't buy what you can't afford" thing that is so foreign to me when I see something shiny
    But on topic though - I am going to get a bit of Ilfosol and try a roll of FP4+ in it, and then in D76 (probably 1:1) - different rolls, of course (before I start a trend - photographers are willing to try anything it seems ).
    Thanks again!

Peter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin