Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,154   Online: 855

Thread: 120/220 issue

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

120/220 issue

This may seem like a dumb question, but I've been known to ask them! I have been using 120 B+W film in my C330, and developing it on my own. The 120 film winds nicely on to my Nikkor SS reels. I just bought (by mistake) some 220 film. I'll use it, but wonder how I will get it on the reel since it will be 2x as long as the 120. I'm sure there is an obvious answer to this, but darned if I can see it!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The obvious answer is you need a 220 reel. The Jobo 2500 series reels that I use do this. I don't know if any SS reels will hold 220.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a Petterson Universal tank, 220 fits fine on the spirals.

David.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also the Paterson System IV reels accommodate 220 (same adjustable reel for 35 mm or 120/220, and since 220 is the same length as 35 mm/36 exposure...), as do other adjustable plastic reels that take 35 mm and expand to 120 width.

There are 220 reels in stainless; they have the same thinner spiral wire and closer spacing as 35 mm, but with 120 film width. Most likely you can get one in the Hewes or Kinderman brands if you shop around a bit, and Nikor made one long ago. I also have a very large Nikor tank, the one that accommodates the 4x5 cage, but which came to me with a pair of large diameter 220 reels. Uses lots of developer, though; about 1.3 liters to cover 2 rolls of 220...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you have not done so already remember that you will have to adjust the pressure plate in the camera to suit 220 film.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two kinds of SS 220 reels. The one Donald describes a big, fat, mother one. The BFM is easier to load as the spirals spaced farther apart. However, it won't fit into an ordinary SS tank due to its size. You'll have to dip & dunk it in some larger container in the dark; this is not a daylight sytem!

Either way works. You could return the film from where you bought it and exchange for 120??? You can probably find both typs on the classifieds here or epay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. I knew there had to be an obvious answer!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    There are two kinds of SS 220 reels. The one Donald describes a big, fat, mother one. The BFM is easier to load as the spirals spaced farther apart. However, it won't fit into an ordinary SS tank due to its size. You'll have to dip & dunk it in some larger container in the dark; this is not a daylight sytem!
    Jim:

Actually these reels work fine in a daylight tank, as long as you have the correct daylight tank for them! Nikor made a tank that fit them, and holds 2 reels, and 40oz. of chemical. This same tank can be used for 4x5 with the 12 sheet cut film rack that's normally part of the Nikor 4x5 tank. They also made 36 exposure 35mm reels in this size, and the nikor tank for 4x5 will hold 3 of the 35mm reels, or 1 220 reel and 1 35mm reel.

The daylight tank I'm looking for is one that's about 7" in diameter and fits a 70mm spiral reel. I have a reel made I believe by Kindermann, and it's about the same size as the Hewes 70mm reels, and holds 15' of film.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then that must be one big, fat, mother tank! )

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin