Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,313   Online: 822

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i worked as the lab-guy of a portrait studio throughout 1988-9. she shot large format film and was trained in the 20s-30s ....
    i must have put thousands of sheets of 5x7 tri-x and hundred sheets of 4x5 tri-x through the stuff. as previously stated, it is a beautiful developer for portraits. we used to "deep-tank & hanger" our film ... and like a lot of developers out there, we used to "mellow" the new stuff with 1/3 tank of olde developer. it worked really well to lessen the contrasty-ness of the developer. if you find your film contrasty, even after you reduce your time &C, you might consider cutting your new developer with a little exhausted-stuff. folks used to do this sort of thing with "harvey's panthermic 777" too ...
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Harvey/harvey.html

its been a really long time and i have no idea what the times/temps were, but i am sure what has been suggested will be good starting points.

good luck!

-john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    ...you might consider cutting your new developer with a little exhausted-stuff....

-john
    JOHN !

WHAT ARE YOU DOING !

We can't tell ALL the old tricks !!!

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OOPS!!

please disregard the part of my last post where i gave explicit instructions on how to de-contrast the developer ... i don't know what i was thinking giving away trade secrets.

- john

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    JOHN !

WHAT ARE YOU DOING !

We can't tell ALL the old tricks !!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DK-50 was originally intended for medium and large format negatives and may provide too much grain for 35mm negatives. However, the following modification produces an acutance developer similar to the Beutler and FX-1 formulas which IS suitable for 35mm format.

Kodak DK-50 As An Acutance Developer

DK-50 may be used as an acutance developer when diluted 1+4 and with the sodium metaborate concentration adjusted to its original concentration. This modification provides a useful balance of acutance, gradation and speed with a controlled contrast rise.

Rate films at their normal ISO speed.

Stock Solution A

Undiluted DK-50

Stock Solution B

Distilled water (50°C) ................. 800 ml
    Kodak Balanced Alkali .................. 80.0 g
    Distilled water to make ................ 1.0 l

Usage

Take 2 parts of Solution A, 1 part of Solution B, and 7 parts water. Use once
    and discard. Average development time is 8 to 13 minutes at 20°C.

British Journal of Photography Annual 1972, p 230.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin