Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak DK-50. (Homemade.)

I have recently ordered some chemicals along with a set of electronic scales from Rayco Photographic Ltd, so that I can make Kodak D-72 print developer from scratch, I also ordered 100 grams of Sodium Metaborate, as I wish to make Kodak DK-50 for reasons of personal curiosity.
    I would like to try this developer diluted 1+1 with Ilford FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus films, but I cant find any times for these on the Digital Truth Website.
    I was wondering if anyone has tried these films with DK-50 and would suggest a starting point time for them?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You may find DK-50 excessively contrasty and grainy for 35mm. Since you want to make your own developers, I would highly recommend pyrocat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
    I have recently ordered some chemicals along with a set of electronic scales from Rayco Photographic Ltd, so that I can make Kodak D-72 print developer from scratch, I also ordered 100 grams of Sodium Metaborate, as I wish to make Kodak DK-50 for reasons of personal curiosity.
    I would like to try this developer diluted 1+1 with Ilford FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus films, but I cant find any times for these on the Digital Truth Website.
    I was wondering if anyone has tried these films with DK-50 and would suggest a starting point time for them?
    Yes, take a look at this APUG thread on DK-50 for some general starting points. Pulverel gives 12 minutes at 20C for Tri-X and that should work as a starting point for HP5.

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=78

Since you are mixing your own, I would also recommend Pyrocat-HD for these two films.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Mills
    You may find DK-50 excessively contrasty and grainy for 35mm. Since you want to make your own developers, I would highly recommend pyrocat.
    If the negatives yield prints that are too contrasty, then the developing time is too long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Yes, take a look at this APUG thread on DK-50 for some general starting points. Pulverel gives 12 minutes at 20C for Tri-X and that should work as a starting point for HP5.

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=78
    Thanks Tom,
    I downloaded some info from the Kodak website, the technical data for their Tri-X films are: Tri-X 400 film (400TX) is 6 minutes in DK-50 diluted 1+1 at 20C/68F for small tank and Tri-X 320 Professional (320TXP) is 8 minutes for the roll film in a rotary discard processor. I couldn`t find times for other Kodak films for use with DK-50.
    Maybe I should start with around 7 or 8 minutes for the Ilford films and tweak them from there.
    The chemicals should (hopefully) arrive next week.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    7 or 8 minutes is a good starting point with DK-50. As you're mixing yourself, you can also try DK-60a which is very similar, and it's recommended times are 7 minutes for most films (according to the PLI). DK-50 or DK-60a is a good developer, often overlooked because it tends to have larger (but sharper) grain than D-76.

-Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I should add that I think I have a lifetime supply of DK-50, between my homemade brew, and prepackaged Kodak packages I have something like 200 gallons worth of it! (so I better like it!)

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In High School we had a lifetime supply of DK-50, in cans, donated from our local industry. It was beautiful used at 1:1 with HP5, especially if the HP5 was shot on an overcast day. Grainy for 35mm, but a nice, tight, grain with excellent acutance. I found a negative recently where you can still see the weave of denim and the impressed lettering on a full-length portrait.

Unfortunately, I don't remember developing times, except that they were pretty short. (forgive me, but I just had my 20th HS reunion, so my DK50 experience is even older)

Shooter
    Multi Format

D-61c

I fooled around for a while with a developer I called D-61c. Basically it was D-61a with Ascorbic acid (vitamin c powder from the health food store) in place of hydroquinone. I increased the sodium carbonate (Arm and Hammer washing soda) slightly to counteract the acidity.

It worked fine. Contrast was fine with the right dilution (1:4 - 1:10) and time. Grain was bigger and sharper than D-76. Worked fine with Efke 25. Foma 400 was...grainy. Tri-X and Foma 200 were better.

In the end it was a fun experiment, but not for everyday 35mm use.

Mike D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    7 or 8 minutes is a good starting point with DK-50. As you're mixing yourself, you can also try DK-60a which is very similar, and it's recommended times are 7 minutes for most films (according to the PLI). DK-50 or DK-60a is a good developer, often overlooked because it tends to have larger (but sharper) grain than D-76.

-Mike
    Thanks Mike,
    The idea of making my own chemicals is something I have been considering for a while now. The main reason was because I have had some of the liquid print developers go off fairly quickly after the containers had been opened, my own fault really, because I should have decanted the remainder into glass bottles. I therefore decided to make my own MQ print developers and contacted Rayco Photographic Ltd who are now selling raw chemicals again after being bought by a new proprietor.
    When ordering a set of electronic scales, Calgon, Metol, Sulphite, Hydroquinone, Carbonate and Pot Brom, I decided to get some Borax and Metaborate for the sake of an extra £4.00, so that I could experiment with maybe DK-50 or Adox MQ Borax.
    My regular film developer is D-76 which I buy in 1 US Gallon size packs for £3.93, so therefore not really worth the bother of making from scratch.
    I can then make print developers fresh, as and when I need them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin