Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,161   Online: 724

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

8x10 sheet film stuck together???

The other day I was loading some 8x10 tri-x then something unusual happened, two of the sheets felt slightly stuck together. Some gentle pulling and they came apart. I didn't think anything of it until I dev'd the sheet that was stuck and a small fleck of emulsion was missing. Luckily I made a dupe of that shot. How often do you guys have one of these stuck sheets? I keep my tri-x in the freezer then leave it out an hour before loading. I'm afraid I'll be very paranoid now..

I did get 2 good negs which I will print this week

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had it happen once with J&C 400. Didn't know I had two sheets stuck together in the holder until I unloaded it for developing. Made my holder have a light leak, so that shot had to be done over again.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, as you are aware, opened boxes of film have the humidity seal broken. The humidity, when you place it back in the freezer is then that of the room it was in before it was put back in the freezer. Therefore, as it cools, humidity goes up and moisture condenses and can cause sticking.

If I have to place opened packs of film back into storage, I prefer using the refrigerator rather than the freezer, as the chance of this happening is lower.

Film is packed at Kodak at 70deg F/50% RH IIRC. Even under these conditions, low temperatures can cause a tiny bit of condensation if chilled low enough. Any lower packaging humidity would cause problems with static electricity discharge during the operation.

So far, I have been lucky even though I store my film at well below zero F in our freezer.

Sorry to hear you lost a sheet of 8x10. That stuff is expensive.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never had it happen, but expect it to someday. I try to use up an entire envelope when ever I load film, but it seldoms works out. I put the loose film back into the envelope and then in the freezer and pray.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin