Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,947   Online: 774

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Paper

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old 1913 Velox

Well here is a print on some outdated 1913 Velox. It has a look that reminds me of some of Steiglitz work, not the picture the look

it took 50ml of benzotriazole 1% solution, a 1.5 min exposure, 30 sec. in LPD 1:2. If you look at the instructions it say to develope in for 40 seconds. The formula that they list looks like a very active Dektol. See http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/18916-paper-printing-instructions.html I had to do 30sec because at 40sec fog was noticable. The print is the whole sheet, Plus-x 4x5 film. The bottom was cut off because of size. the paper is 3.25x5.5

I really like the look of this paper, I just need a proper neg to print. Although I could not get the scan to look as good as the print. Sorry about that, the detail is much more subtle in the origanal. It is a different look then the Velox I've printed on from a later date.

Randy
    Last edited by Rlibersky; 02-27-2008 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Eventually some one will care, until then I'll happily continue in my illusion in dealing with old paper.

Well I got the paper I bought. A lady contacted me from Utah. Found this in her basement, in a cement vetable cellar. Underground and dry.

Most of it is Velox. With all respect to MAS I like the cool tone Velox gives. I did get a box from Kodak the simply say CHLORIDE Type IX Contrast 3 10x10 Semi-matt. I am assumming AZO but am not sure. It seems it was made to U.S. Army specification No. 75-157-D.

Looking forward tousing it.
    Last edited by Rlibersky; 02-27-2008 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Could be interesting. Let us know what you get out of it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I will. BTW I'm not sure what tousing is should be testing.

David, Did you have any luck with the Haloid? Mine was projection paper. Slightly fogged but workable. Not sure I like the look though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Haloid Industro grade 2 that I have is foggy, but definitely a contact paper. The speed is comparable to Azo. I get pretty decent results if I treat it kind of as Azo grade 1, add about 75ml/l benzotriazole to Michael Smith's amidol formula for azo, and expose for a development time of 30 sec.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I lust after that Velour Black

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well I finally got into the darkroom after 3 weeks of illness. I tested the papers for fog. I was surprized at the results. Most of the enlarging papers were not fogged. I developed in Agfa Nuetol 1:9 for 1 min.

Enlarging Papers
    Medalist - No fog
    Cykora - No fog
    Velour - No fog
    Halid - No fog

Contact Papers
    Some Felix - No fog

The slightly fogged papers
    Clhoride
    Kodak Bromide
    Some Felix

50mal of a 1% benzotiazole sol. removed all traces of fog, from all papers. (36oz of developer)

The Clhoride paper has the feel and look of Azo paper. I will work with it this weekend to see if the print looks close.
    The Halid is a folding paper, made to put creases in without damage to emulsion. It worked well I double folded it without damage.

The woman I bought this from called yesterday to see if I would take the rest of the paper, for shipping cost. Mostly Kodak Bromide, after last nights experience I said sure. I probaly will not have to bid on ebay for old paper for a while.

Shooter
    Medium Format

opal

When I was shooting for money, in the 1950's, Opal G was king. I still have some bride's pix that are holding up nicely and I often lament the lack of a duplicate these days.

The vivitar or whatever designation is unknown to me.

good luck

Herb

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When working with the paper this weekend I found the Chloride paper is warmer the modern Azo. Also a different paper shinny back instead of flat. It took sepia toning completely different then modern Azo. It was a real golden brown as opposed to the reddish brown I got from Azo. Does anyone have an Idea what other paper it might be? It does not look like Velox either. All it says is Chloride on the box.

By the way in my last post, Felix is supposed to be Velox. Don't ask me what happened.

Velox with a sepia tone look almost red.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old Paper revisited

It been a long time since posting, but I've got new information on working with old paper.

Most of the paper that I have older then the seventies is fogged, when developed in developers with no anti fogging agent. Some need more then 50ml per liter to get a print with outfog and then the time in the soup had to be less then 1 min.

The contrast suffered a bit. I also found out that there are no brighteners in the paper, so some of the contrast may be because of different standards.

In other discussions on this subject I mentioned Chlorohydroquinone as a warm tone developer. It took me a while to acquire some, or for that matter any available. Then Acros wouldn't sell to a residential customer. I finely acquired 100g to try out. It isn't cheap with shipping charges it came to ~$1.47 a gram. When I mixed up the formula I was disappointed to find that the tones weren't as promised on modern paper.

I figured that it was a expensive lesson. I had read some where that Chlorohydroquinone was inherently an antifog developer, so I thought I would throw a few of the pieces of the old paper in. To my shock the paper would not fog even after 6 minutes. I then preceded to print a few and found that the contrast was closer to what I expected. Some of the old paper I was going to toss because everything I tried before didn't work at all. But so far has not been the case with this one. I was so exited I bought the last 300gr Acros had. Fortunately a local chemical company was willing to order it for me, this time the shipping was alot less and it only cost ~$.75 a gram. Well worth it when I look at the possibility of saving all this old paper.

I tried adding some other chemical to speed up the processing without fogging, so far nothing has worked.

Here is the formula

Defender 58-D from the 1949 version of "Photo Lab Index"

Water 750ml
    Sodium Sulfite 16gr
    Chlorohydroquinone 4gr
    Sodium Carbonate 16gr
    Water to make 1L

Mix 1:1 Develope at least 4 mins. Expose 2 times longer then usual.

If there are suggestions on getting the time down, or even getting a colder look I would appreciate them. The tone on the older papers is quite nice. Unfortunately I do not have a scanner that works to get the prints to show you. Hopefully i can soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin