Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,159   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Paper

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old Paper

I have aquirred some paper made in the 40's. I like to get old paper to print on. Some has been great others spotted and fogged. Suprising haw many are still printable.

Anyway, I bought 4 different kinds that I have not worked with before.

Has anyone worked with or even remember the following?

Haliod 10"x10" Type V Grade 2, made to army spec. 75-1570
    Kodak Illustrator Speacial 11x14 Type E
    Kodak Vitava Opal 11x14 Type G
    Defender Varigram 11x14 Type BT

The Defender is a variable constrast paper. The rest did not come with instructions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just bumping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can find any of the old Kodak Data Guides you might be able to find a sample for the Illustrator or Opal and the paper surfaces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Defender Varigram was (I think) the first of the variable contrast papers. The filter sets show up on ebay occasionally. Kodak Illustrator Special is most likely very similar to Azo. Kodak made Illustrator's Azo that was extra glossy for reproduction purposes. I'd guess Illustrator Special is the same thing under a different name. Vitava is a contact paper on (I believe) a warmtone base. I know nothing about Haloid paper. You caught me on the way to work, otherwise I'd pull out my old Kodak catalogs and see if I can find more than just what I can remember.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I got some info that the Opal has Cadium in the emulsion. If true what would this do to the look of the paper or effects on toning?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I called Kodak's paper help dept. today. There information only goes back as far as 1964. The Opal and Illustrator went out of date in 1949.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is what my old Photo-Lab index says:

Kodak Illustrators' Special:
    Has a full scalle, brilliant emulsion of the quality and speed of Opal. It is an excellent medium for commericial illustration and reproduction purposes, and the surface is well suited to retouching or other form of art work. This paper can also be used for combination pictures and "paste-in" photomontages. It is supplied in (E) lustre, white, fine-grained surface, both Single and Double Weight.

It lists the speel of it as 400 American Standard Paper Speed (Polycontast Rapid is 800, Azo is 10)

Kodak Vitava Opal 11x14 Type G (they only list Kodak Opal)
    Has warmth of tone and gradation which makes it one of the most popular projection papers used by portrait photographers. It has sufficent speed for enlarging with standard equipment and can be used for contact printing with reduced illumination. Opal is supplied in one degree of contrast and in thirteen pleasing surfaces.

Speed is listed as 200.

Defender Varigram 11x14 Type BT

I don't list anything called Defender, but Varigram is DuPont's variable contrast paper.

I couldn't find anything on the first paper.

This info is from my 1964 and 1972 Photo-Lab Indexes (love these old things!)

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Just shows you wat Kodak will tell you today. My data guide from the late 60`s has samples of both Opel and Illistrator Special. My friend had a wedding business and all prints were made on Opel G until he was forced into color in the 1980`s.

Yes, the cad lets it one beautifully. The environmentalists got to that one. Nothing warm tones properly anymore without the cad. I suggest you give up. Portriga was another loss to cad paranoya. The warm tone papers from east europe were the last to include cad. Forte I think. You might try a small pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    I don't list anything called Defender, but Varigram is DuPont's variable contrast paper.
    I believe DuPont's paper was called Varigam, not Varigram.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Here is what my old Photo-Lab index says:

This info is from my 1964 and 1972 Photo-Lab Indexes (love these old things!)

Steve
    I do as well. The one I have is from 1977. Neither paper is listed. I appreciate the info.

[/Quote]Just shows you wat Kodak will tell you today. My data guide from the late 60`s has samples of both Opel and Illustrator Special.

Yes, the cad lets it tone beautifully.
    Ronald[/Quote]

I am suprized the Kodak guy didn't have the info, he did suggest Ilford as a fine quality paper to replace the Kodak stuff.

Thanks for the info on the cad. I only have 50 sheet each. So whatever I get will be it.

I did find Haloid changed there name to Xerox in 1961. Not much info about them before that.

It is Varigam. my mistake in the origanal post. Dupont and Defender worked together or bought them at some point.

Randy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin