Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,903   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Antacid tablets and B&W developer chemistry

I was about to pop a couple Miralac antacid tablets when I noticed the active ingredient is Calcium Carbonate (420mg). Just below that, it says "with Glycine and mint flavor".

I'm at work and my mind started to wonder...I wonder if these would make a good developer???

What do you think? Would it work?
    Last edited by BradS; 09-01-2005 at 05:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't mind the price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glycine and glycin are two different chemicals.

Glycine is an amino acid harmless to people and found in foods.

Glycin is a developing agent. If you swallowed some, you would probably never have to worry about developing film again, sadly.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hmmm, doesn't sound too promising. So much for day-dreaming. Back to pounding out code!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the Glycin and Glycine names are unfortunate.
    Calcium carbonate is also not a suitable alkaline materials for making developers (it's not water-soluble!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, is a derivative of paraminophenol (think Rodinal) and can be used as a developer. There was an article some years ago in one of the photo magazines describing how to use it. You might do a web search for more information.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, is a derivative of paraminophenol (think Rodinal) and can be used as a developer. There was an article some years ago in one of the photo magazines describing how to use it. You might do a web search for more information.
    That's very interesting. I don't remember which movie it was, but I always think of those vietnam war photojournalist who (well in the movies anyway) wandered far from civilization and "made do" with whatever materials and makeshift equipment they could find. I often wonder if this is how they discoverd that instant coffee can be used to dev film.

Tylenol eh? who would have guessed? At least it has some use. Sure doesn't work on headaches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    I often wonder if this is how they discoverd that instant coffee can be used to dev film.
    Coffee contains several compounds which are substituted catechols. If I remember rightly this was the tipoff since catechol is a developer.

There were two articles in the old Dignan Newsletter. One described the use of Tylenol and the other how to use a hair dye kit as a developer. One set of capsules in the kit contained paraphenylenediamine which is a fine grain developer.

Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure that movie was Vietnam and not Cambodia? What's that movie where the journalists are hold up in the embassy and try to make a fake American passport to get their local assistant out?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    Are you sure that movie was Vietnam and not Cambodia? What's that movie where the journalists are hold up in the embassy and try to make a fake American passport to get their local assistant out?

Matt

Blazing Saddles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin