I developed old Agfa 400, in Kodak T-max developer (7 min) Stopped with water for about 3 minutes and fixed for 5 minutes.
My film turned out, but there was still a bit of coating (?) on it, so I'm assuming I didn't fix it for long enough. Also it looks as if it was unevenly developed, for one half seemed darker than the other.
So I tested another roll. This one I developed at 7 minutes, stopped with water for about 3 and fixed for 10 minutes.
This roll didn't turn out at all. White runs along the entire film, you can barely make out images, and half of it is just black.
The only thing I did differently was the time change in the fix. I have no idea how old these rolls are, my assumption is over 3 years. Also while processing , the first roll I would turn the tank upside down to agitate it, like instructed in the Ilford guide I found. I thought this might contribute to the uneven developement, so while processing the second roll I turned the little dohicky in the tank, like I remember doing in school.
Anyways, I'm curious as to what I did so wrong on the second roll. I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance.
Throw the remaining films away and buy a fresh batch of films and chemicals.
I think I went wrong with a couple places. Mainly the amount of chemicals used, combined with the sliding of the roll on the spool. I did some testing with water and found that it slide up quite easily when I flipped it.
You can keep your spool at the bottom of the tank by putting an empty spool (or multiple empty spools, depending on the size of your tank) above the one that's loaded with film. This should let you use the recommended amount of chemistry for a single roll rather than filling the tank and wasting chemistry. Foaming (as noted by raucousimages) shouldn't greatly reduce the volume of liquid chemistry, but it might reduce it slightly, so going over by a few milliliters can be reasonable insurance.
...This roll didn't turn out at all. White runs along the entire film, you can barely make out images, and half of it is just black.
When using only one reel in a two-reel tank, put a rubber band around the core above the spool to keep it down. Otherwise the reel will creep up the core, even when using the "twiddly stick". That results in only half the film being procedded, and all the images will be unusable.
New Paterson tanks come with a whide plastic clamp for this purpose, but they have a distressing habit of going missing very quickly. A rubber band does the same job, and is far easier to replace.