Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,912   Posts: 1,556,252   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy
    So I attempted to develope my own film today.

I developed old Agfa 400, in Kodak T-max developer (7 min) Stopped with water for about 3 minutes and fixed for 5 minutes.

My film turned out, but there was still a bit of coating (?) on it, so I'm assuming I didn't fix it for long enough. Also it looks as if it was unevenly developed, for one half seemed darker than the other.

So I tested another roll. This one I developed at 7 minutes, stopped with water for about 3 and fixed for 10 minutes.

This roll didn't turn out at all. White runs along the entire film, you can barely make out images, and half of it is just black.

The only thing I did differently was the time change in the fix. I have no idea how old these rolls are, my assumption is over 3 years. Also while processing , the first roll I would turn the tank upside down to agitate it, like instructed in the Ilford guide I found. I thought this might contribute to the uneven developement, so while processing the second roll I turned the little dohicky in the tank, like I remember doing in school.

Anyways, I'm curious as to what I did so wrong on the second roll. I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Loopy
    Throw the remaining films away and buy a fresh batch of films and chemicals.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I went wrong with a couple places. Mainly the amount of chemicals used, combined with the sliding of the roll on the spool. I did some testing with water and found that it slide up quite easily when I flipped it.
    You can keep your spool at the bottom of the tank by putting an empty spool (or multiple empty spools, depending on the size of your tank) above the one that's loaded with film. This should let you use the recommended amount of chemistry for a single roll rather than filling the tank and wasting chemistry. Foaming (as noted by raucousimages) shouldn't greatly reduce the volume of liquid chemistry, but it might reduce it slightly, so going over by a few milliliters can be reasonable insurance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
    What was the recommended use by date on the film package?
    I couldn't even tell you. I didn't have the package and there was no date on the canister. I could make out faint images of my ex, so we're talking at least 3 years old.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ...This roll didn't turn out at all. White runs along the entire film, you can barely make out images, and half of it is just black.
    Rubber band.

When using only one reel in a two-reel tank, put a rubber band around the core above the spool to keep it down. Otherwise the reel will creep up the core, even when using the "twiddly stick". That results in only half the film being procedded, and all the images will be unusable.

New Paterson tanks come with a whide plastic clamp for this purpose, but they have a distressing habit of going missing very quickly. A rubber band does the same job, and is far easier to replace.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Excellent idea, Ole, I've just been keeping the extra reel on top.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin