What did I do wrong?
So I attempted to develope my own film today.
I developed old Agfa 400, in Kodak T-max developer (7 min) Stopped with water for about 3 minutes and fixed for 5 minutes.
My film turned out, but there was still a bit of coating (?) on it, so I'm assuming I didn't fix it for long enough. Also it looks as if it was unevenly developed, for one half seemed darker than the other.
So I tested another roll. This one I developed at 7 minutes, stopped with water for about 3 and fixed for 10 minutes.
This roll didn't turn out at all. White runs along the entire film, you can barely make out images, and half of it is just black.
The only thing I did differently was the time change in the fix. I have no idea how old these rolls are, my assumption is over 3 years. Also while processing , the first roll I would turn the tank upside down to agitate it, like instructed in the Ilford guide I found. I thought this might contribute to the uneven developement, so while processing the second roll I turned the little dohicky in the tank, like I remember doing in school.
Anyways, I'm curious as to what I did so wrong on the second roll. I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance.
Just to add, I kept the temp at 20 degrees C, while washing. Or tried too. After a couple of minutes my tap water temp tended to drop.
I'm not sure about either case...I've never used this combination and I just guessing here, but:
You may be right about the fixer with the first roll, its a common issue with TMax films. I'm not sure about AGFA. Maybe someone else will chime in here.
What do you mean by white running through the second roll? Is it translucent or completely opaque? Could it be undeveloped emulsion? Perhaps the film was wound onto the spool too tightly and made contact with itself. This is a problem that crops up with every roll that I develop on steel reels. But mine are usually limited to a frame two; not the whole roll.
why are you stopping with water for 3minutes?. this will definately give you problems. stop for the recommended time with an acid stop or alkaline mix others have recommended, but the stop should not be more than 30 second.then into the fix for five.
the streaking is because the film is still developing unevenly in the 3 minute stop
sorry joey , should be loopy
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
Well I figured since using an acid stop would be about 30 seconds, then water should be more. That was my logic. I do have a stop, but would rather use water.
Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
So if I do use water, should I stop for the same amount of time. No long than 30 seconds?
As for the white, not sure what it is. Its semi-translucent. Possibly undeveloped emusion. But I'm not even sure what that looks like to tell you the truth. Its been about 5 years since I've developed film and I've never experienced it before.
Thanks for all the quick responses!
This may be a silly question but was your tank filled with chemicals?
Donald beat me to it, but yes, did you have the correct quantity of chemicals in the tank? If there was not enough then there would be a lesser developed half of the roll along its length.
Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.
As far as I know. I filled it up with water to measure how much would fit. I measured for one roll and for two. The measurements I used were for one.
I will attempt again when I get home from work. I'll get it eventually
You can use water as a stop without problems. Anchel and Troop even go so far as to say that it is better than using acid stop with modern films and papers(sidebar, pg. 103) and Ilford recommends it as well. Fill the tank 5 times with 10 seconds of agitation per fill. I usually cut the development time slightly (30 secs) and have never had any problems.
The white streaks could be improperly fixed areas of the film. I have seen this when the film was not loaded just right on the reel, which allowed one part of the film to touch another part, resulting in an area where the chemicals could not reach properly. That area of the film was milky looking and would clear if re-fixed.
I don't know why the film would be dark in places other than if it had not been exposed properly.
As for temps, you might have reticulation (cracks in the emulsion) if the temps were wildly off, but not the results you mentioned here.
Scans would be great if you can manage it.