Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,982   Online: 875

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...

Thanks to the help from all you guys (and girls) here on APUG I made what I believe is an Important discovery. Though I've always done everything in my power to produce as sharp a neg possible, I've never been completely, 1000% satisfied. I now believe the cause of my frustration has been grain diffusion (if that's the right term) resulting from sulfite in the developer. Though minutely subtle, there was what appeared to be a micro blur in my photos... almost like there was a piece of the worlds thinnest saran wrap between me and the image. Now I'm talking an extremely subtle blur where the average viewer would never notice... but it drove me crazy! I've been processing tmax with RS and recently F-76 in a Jobo. Very nice negs but missing a definitive clarity! Now I understand firsthand, the give and take with sharp vs smooth grain. I discovered Rodinal (do I hear cheers in the background) with Txp320 using 10 sec agitation each minute. Though the grain is definitely there, I like the clarity. I'd venture to guess d76 1:1 might be half way between with regards to grain sharpness. I will experiment to find out. I don't need the super etched edge effects I thought I might, just a happy medium. I will now run my BTZS tests with TXP320, FP4+,EfkePL100, Bergger 200, and HP5.

Just wanted to share my excitement and to say Thank you to all you fine folks for sharing your knowledge!

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob,
    It's good to find someone excited these days. When you finish your testing I would be interested in the results as I'm sure many other would be also. Please keep us posted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bob

You did a big mistake you did not test XTol. So just take the best!
    Your negs like to get the best, so don't missuse them!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Glad to hear your images are becoming your vision. Rodinal Rocks!
    Now you see why we monochrome photographers spend endless hours fidgeting and testing developers and films. When you get a match with a film/developer combo, a certain alchemical reaction is formed. By that I mean you suddenly see your images become what you intended all along.
    Good luck and have fun.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysandstrom
    I discovered Rodinal (do I hear cheers in the background)
    Welcome to the Truth!

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysandstrom
    I discovered Rodinal (do I hear cheers in the background) with Txp320 using 10 sec agitation each minute. Though the grain is definitely there, I like the clarity. I'd venture to guess d76 1:1 might be half way between with regards to grain sharpness. I will experiment to find out. I don't need the super etched edge effects I thought I might, just a happy medium. I will now run my BTZS tests with TXP320, FP4+,EfkePL100, Bergger 200, and HP5.

Just wanted to share my excitement and to say Thank you to all you fine folks for sharing your knowledge!

Bob
    Any of the Phenidone/Ascorbic acid (or ascorbate) formulas (Xtol is one) will give you not only the sharpness you desire, but also much finer grain than Rodinal. Phenidone does not need sulfite as a superadditive or preservative. I get very sharp, almost grainless negs from a simple Phenidone, Vitamin C, sodium metaborate formula.

Larry

Larry

Shooter
    35mm
    When ypu are ready for the next step in the right direction, try Pyrocat HD. Then you will be home.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    When ypu are ready for the next step in the right direction, try Pyrocat HD. Then you will be home.
    Claire, the next and final step is Rodinal 1:100
    Sorry couldn't resist.
    Søren

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Claire, the next and final step is Rodinal 1:100
    Sorry couldn't resist.
    Søren
    Good boy, Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If he tries XTol then he will be gone from your grainy soup. Sorry guys!
    And he will make a change for the better!
    But he has to try it and he will never luck back on Rodinal soup!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin