Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,724   Online: 909

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I quite like Acufine. I don't find it that coarse, but I don't shoot B&W in 35mm very much, and I like the tonality and sharpness I get with the films I use it with (TX, TXP, TXT, J&C 400, PL100). I find that it really only gets one honest stop with good shadow detail over box speed typically, so if you are not getting good results, you are probably trying to make it do more than it can.

I use it in a deep tank with the replenisher, so I always have it on hand ready to use at room temperature, and I like that convenience.

I did have a batch fail recently, but I traced that to exposure to high heat--we were on vacation and the building's cooling system went down for three days. Other than that, I've used it for years without difficulties.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    My only concern is that I think that claim of 1000 was ASA, not ISO, and the box speeds doubled in the meantime while the same films were in them. Here's what you can do. For Tri-X, set you meter at 1600 and take the readings of significant shadows. I did that long ago for taking pictures where flash was not tolerated. You are in fact exposing for Zone III in such a way that Zone V will be properly exposed without "pushing" and you may be surprised at the available darkness you can capture by doing so.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today I took a look at some landscapes (enlargements) made from 4x5 Tri-X negs developed in Acufine. Impressive work by Steve Cohen of Santa Monica. He also showed me some wide angle landscapes made with a 6x12 back on his 4x5 that are equally well done.

BTW, I bought his 125mm f5.6 Fujinon W.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's never a good idea to use an untested film/developer combination for irreplaceable photos.

Brad,
    For B&W, I use 2 primary developers, Pyrocat and Acufine. I've used Acufine extensively with Tri-X 400. I think you can trust that Acufine will yield you good, printable negatives rated anywhere from 800 to 1200.

I know that the affair lends itself to quick, informal groupings of people, but a small tripod would allow you gain two stops of shutter, allowing you rate Tri-x normally, with much better results.
    Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi and thanks everybody for the advice. I'm back from the funeral and it turns out that because of the way the funeral was arranged and due to the local customs and rules (this was a very conservative protestant church) I was not able to shoot anything indoors. I did shoot a roll at the cemetary however. Since this was overcast morning sun, I rated the Tri-X at 250 and I'll dev it in my old favorite HC-110.

I've got the Acufine on stand by and will begine testing it soon. Thanks again to all who responded with helpful insight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin