Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,000   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Tri-X, Acufine and a Funeral...

I'm going to a funeral this Friday and thought I'd try to make a few semi-formal portraits of friends and family. I suspect that most of the opportunities will be indoors and, out of respect, I am opting for no flash. I've got a fridge full of Tri-x and a couple of un-opened cans of Acufine...so, thought I'd give that combination a go.

Here's the thing. I've never used Acufine before and I don't think I'll get much chance to do any testing before departure so, I'm looking for reassurance that this is a good choice and perhaps some advice with respect to dev times & c.

The label on the can says I can rate Tri-X 400 at EI-1000 and dev for 5 minutes at 70 degrees F. Does that sound reasonable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mean EI 1000 right? Yes Acufine does a good job with Tri-X in my experience from newspaper days. Of course I was apt to push the film to ridiculous EIs in attempts to shoot sports at night with available light.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    You mean EI 1000 right? ...snip...
    Ooops....
    Yes. Of course EI-1000. I've edited the original post. Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not shoot the film, put it on ice, shoot a few test rolls (perhaps even in the same location as the formal shots), experiment with the test rolls (or fractions thereof), and then develop the important rolls only when you're satisfied with your test rolls?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I rate TX 400 at 800 in Acufine.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    search this forum for a thread on latensification. I used it the other day to push TRI-X and it gave me one stop. So if your development is for 1000, do a one minute soak in this solution and you can rate your film at 2000. It does seem to drive up FB+F a bit but the lower 3 zones are toast any way.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have shot Tri X at 1000 with 5mints, 3200 at 11 mints and Tmax at 3200, I think I used the time on the can with good results. I also ran a roll of Tmax 3200 at 6400 5 mints in Acufine and 11 mints in Edwal 12 with very printable negatives.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    The label on the can says I can rate Tri-X 400 at EI-1000 and dev for 5 minutes at 70 degrees F. Does that sound reasonable?
    "Back in the day" I routinely did 35mm Tri-X in Acufine at 1000. And at whatever the can said to do.

The negs will be grainy and contrasty, but you'll have images and be able to print them.

Good luck!

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Short version:

Acufine is one of those developers that time outran.

It is coarse, and gives no more speed, by today's standards than many developers.
    It has little charm.

Use Xtol.

( pulling out the pint of rye from the bottom drawer, and chomping on a cigar... )

"Trust me, kid."

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very important rule: never shoot images that are important to you on a new film/dev combination.

If you've got time, shoot a test roll to be sure you like the results of the higher EI. If not, shoot the film in a manner you're comfortable with that's compatible with developers you know -- I'd be perfectly happy shooting Tri-X at EI 800 for process in HC-110, but I've done it before, and in any case for your situation I'd more likely shoot at EI 1600 and develop in Diafine, since I have it around and have used it a number of times as well.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin