Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,654   Online: 855

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sandy, I'm a sensible guy and I know you are too. When I'm not qualified to decide for myself what's best in any given situation no matter what it be, I seek the guidance and advice of others who are qualified. When I find those whom I believe qualified having opposing views... 180 difference in opinion... a red flag goes up in my mind. You must admit, pyro gets a heck of a lot more bad press than hydroquinone. Again, I don't know, I'm a freakin musician. If I were a scientist you can bet your bottom dollar I'd know. However I'm not and I'd be a fool not to question. Now, I can see how someone like yourself who knows better can become frustrated with all the newcomers that raise these concerns. Honestly, I can understand your frustration. But please, understand mine. I see John Sexton with his hands in the Dektol yet he wears gloves with selenium. I assume he knows what the risks are and he has no problem with putting his hands in the Hydroquinone. I see other guys with their bare hands in Selenium! And other guys that won't use it! Geez, there's a lot of conflicting messages out there. Do you see how this can be confusing and frustrating to a relative newbie?

Anyway, I want to thank you for all of your help with the numerous questions I've posted. (Along with everyone else that's helped along the way.)

It is appreciated!

Bob

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I honestly think respect is key.
    show respect to the chemicals no matter what they are and youll remain safe.
    (IE - dont develope in a tray and then eat out of it... dont wash in your sink and not thoroughly clean it afterwards)

from the research I did prior to doing home mixing and developing I found that the MSDS sheets for rodinal and PMK pyro and Pyro HD all seemed within similiar cautionary levels. none being all that dangerous. in fact none of the chemicals really seem to deem alot of danger as long as caution is taken and respect is shown.

if you think about it... likely not much more dangerous than walking down to the corner store

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysandstrom
    I see John Sexton with his hands in the Dektol yet he wears gloves with selenium. I assume he knows what the risks are and he has no problem with putting his hands in the Hydroquinone. I see other guys with their bare hands in Selenium! And other guys that won't use it! Geez, there's a lot of conflicting messages out there. Do you see how this can be confusing and frustrating to a relative newbie?

Bob
    Anyone who keeps his hand in Dektol (which contains hydroquinone) is pretty much clueless. You should not have your hands in either dektol or selenium. For sure, you could probaly soak your body in either of them and not die within the hour, or within the decade. But in the long run you should protect your hands from both by wearing gloves. They are both toxic.

So, to be very direct, John Sexton does not really understand the risks. As a role model he should, but based on what you described, he obviously does not. Too bad.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sandy, I will try the pyro. Now, will you clear this up for me? What about the issue of fumes. I have a Delta exhaust fan in my darkroom right above my sink with a delta air inlet at the other end of the darkroom. However, I lit a piece of paper and blew it out to check how effectively the smoke was drawn out, and I wasn't impressed. It did not remove the smoke at a rate I thought it should. However, it's a lot better than before I had the fan. Also, my darkroom gets humid. Are there any problems associated with inhaling some of the fumes from the pyro?

Also, in John's defense, he does state that he would not tell anyone not to use gloves. In fact I believe he encouraged people to use them if they were the least bit concerned.

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysandstrom
    Sandy, I will try the pyro. Now, will you clear this up for me? What about the issue of fumes. I have a Delta exhaust fan in my darkroom right above my sink with a delta air inlet at the other end of the darkroom. However, I lit a piece of paper and blew it out to check how effectively the smoke was drawn out, and I wasn't impressed. It did not remove the smoke at a rate I thought it should. However, it's a lot better than before I had the fan. Also, my darkroom gets humid. Are there any problems associated with inhaling some of the fumes from the pyro?

Thanks
    Bobby,

If you are using liquid kits there is no problem with fumes. If you are mixing the developer from powder chemicals, just stay on the other side of the air flow, or go outside to mix. You definitely do not want to inhale the fumes from the powder chemicals reducers, whether that be of hydroquinone, pyrogallol or pyrocatechin. Once the chemicals are in solution the only thing you need to be concerned about is putting your bare hands in the solution. Don't do it.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Alright Sandy. Again thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot tomorrow with a dupe neg that I processed earlier today with the rodinal. Actually looking forward to it!

bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    AND THE ANSWER IS. DON'T DRINK RODINAL AND DON'T SOAK YOUR HANDS IN IT. AND DON'T ALLOW YOUR DOG TO DRINK IT. IT IS TOXIC.
    Damn...It tastes SO GREAT!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Gee Whiz Mr. King if photographers start doing careful objective tests one may come to the conclusion that there is heresy coming from the head office in Denmark of the Church of Rodinal.
    We watch you closely...and the word is out: "Rodinal is not for anybody".

Shooter
    35mm
    Morten I agree Rodinal is not for anybody. There folks you have it straight from the Danish horse's mouth. You have been warned..DO NOT USE THIS STUFF.

In the spirit of responisible citizenship I am starting a new group to help members of the CHURCH OF RODINAL. This gruop is caled AA...Acolytes Anonymous. It is a two step program of recovery. The are listed below.

1). I have realized that Rodinal is really, I mean REALLY a substandard
    developer leading to reduced gradation thru excessive grain. But there
    is a higher power that can and will restore the spirit of my photographs.

2). The name of the Higher power is Pyrocat HD.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are people that have been inhaling catechol, hydroquinone and other closely related chemicals for years and are still alive - these are the people who smoke tobacco products - or others who breathe the second hand smoke .
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin