Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1035

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably your body builds up an immunity. When I lived in Peru, it was only the non-smokers who got altitude sickness in the Andes. The lungs of the smokers were accustomed to doing without oxygen.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, when it comes to darkroom dangers, If you use potassium ferricyanide be absolutely certain not to mix it with concentrated acid as you could kill yourself and others in your household. You will be producing a gas suitable for use in a homemade version of a gas chamber.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysandstrom
    Alright Sandy. Again thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot tomorrow with a dupe neg that I processed earlier today with the rodinal. Actually looking forward to it!

bob
    I did my own comparisons in the beginning of 2003. (It in the archives somewhere). I used pyrocat vs. Rodinal in a Jobo which is not what you want to know, but I decided I wasn't going to develop sheet film without using a jobo - both to save time and get more uniform negs.

My pyrocat negs were sharper than the rodinal. I'd be interested to hear about your conclusions using rodinal in more optimal conditions for the developer.

Images
    Amen. I'm 78 years old and developed my first film amd prints in MQ deceloper bare handed by see-sawing them through a tray at the age of about 12. The things that everyone here can see are wrong with me are not the result of photographic chemicals, though some may be the result of photographic frustrations.
    Gadget Gainer

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    Amen. I'm 78 years old and developed my first film amd prints in MQ deceloper bare handed by see-sawing them through a tray at the age of about 12. The things that everyone here can see are wrong with me are not the result of photographic chemicals, though some may be the result of photographic frustrations.
    ........and then there was dear old Granny smoked like a Chimney, drank like a fish, lived to 106! yea! smoking and drinking are good for ya!

With all due respect, just because one person is not harmed doesn't mean they're harmless. Thank your good genetics or luck, but, don't think for a minute that photographic chemicals are without risk.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I saw this comment about Rodinal on another forum.

"Rodinal 1:25 and 400 speed non-Tgrain film?

Last time I used that combination was in 1980; I got so much grain I put on five pounds just looking at the negatives, hippies surrounded my house chanting "Granola", President Jimmie Carter added me to the Grain Embargo watch-list, and Anheuser-Busch considered starting a new faux-beer: Rodenweiser. (However, their research discovered that many an Irish photographer mistook old Rodinal for Guinness, but still found it better than American beers.)"

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used both Pyrocat HD and Rodinol in rotary processors. The results are quite different. The big thing you notice is the large, razor wire-like grain of Rodinol. Pyrocat HD has reasonably fine grain, although it wouldn't be catagorized as a fine grain developer. I think Rodinol may be a hair sharper, but it's fairly close. Overall, I prefer the Pyrocat HD.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Morten I agree Rodinal is not for anybody. There folks you have it straight from the Danish horse's mouth. You have been warned..DO NOT USE THIS STUFF.
    No. I mean that Rodinal is something you have to be worthy of using...

And Claire....you are not worthy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard these horror stories about pyro devs myself - and was a little hesitant to try one since I develop film in my kitchen sink... but in the end - I clean that very sink with stuff that has so much chemistry in it that you could kill several horses with an ounce. And then I go out and have a cigarette and ponder eating a very greasy burger - or a steak that could be nursed back to health by a competent vet
    And I have developed APX 400 35mm film in Rodinal, because I love the stuff...and it was all I had on hand at the moment - but it was, admittedly, a very silly idea indeed. You could mount those negs on a poece of board and use them to do manicures. But you know... there was still something there I liked better than some melty, wishy-washy solvent developed negs... Perhaps I am just biased in favor of Rodinal. (yes, I realize that last part was totally irrelevant - but I tout Rodinal whenever I can )

Shooter
    35mm
    Morten, you had it right when you advised people not to use Rodinal and now Rodinal fumes are causing your gray matter to turn into brown matter and very grainy brown matter at that. Your reasoning has reached a state of such high dilution that I can discern that your reasoning is awash in an sad sea of serene studity. This is quite common with cases where one has water on the brain. Sad indeed is the plain case of the insane Dane who needs to drain the Rodinal on on his brain.

There are all too many dastardly, good for nothing reprobates and other miserable creatures upon the face of this earth and I tend towards being a unforgiving hardnose but even the worst of them should not be considered worthy the The Rodinal Therapy.

RODINAL IS NOT FOR ANYBODY!.
    I am quoting Mad Monk Morten, the Rasputin of Rodinal.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin