Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,590   Online: 835

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you happen to read German, "Meine Dunkelkammer-Praxis" by Willi Beutler is worth looking for. It's been out of print for about 50 years, but still comes up every once in a while.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    What the Darkroom Cookbook does not do is cover the process of developing in detail. It's not particularly helpful if you're looking to refine your darkroom techniques, aside from the chemical-mixing side of things.
    I'm glad I mentioned that book because I am looking to refine my darkroom techniques. I'm not that interested in mixing my own chemicals although it may be worthwhile to experiment and get an understanding. I have Ansel Adams' The Negative and it is a fine book, but I feel it is a tad bit outdated in relation to the newer film and chemicals out there. He is also a bit biased in my opinion.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Smith
    What the Darkroom Cookbook does not do...
    I'm glad I mentioned that book because I am looking to refine my darkroom techniques.
    Actually, you didn't mention the Darkroom Cookbook. In your first post in this thread you mentioned the Film Developing Cookbook, which is a different book entirely. (I have the former but not the latter, so I can't comment on the latter book.) The Darkroom Cookbook came up in a subsequent post. FWIW, I frequently see the two confused in Internet posts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Craft of Photography, by David Vestal.

The BEST content & the most useful. The best foundation for whatever your ambitions are. [ All the rest mentioned so far are seriously flawed or not meant as a fundamental text. ]

Second choice, "Beyond Basic Photography", by Henry Horenstein.

David's book, you'll have to hunt for. Henry's is available from Freestyle.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    The film developing cookbook will help you understand what each chemical does and give you an intuitive understanding into photographic chemistry. The Negative will help you understand the whole process. Both books are wonderful - neither of them are perfect and complete. They will lay a good foundation though.
    Both great books.

I also highly recommend the Edge of Darkness by the late Barry Thornton. He really understood how to develop to get the maximum sharpness from medium format.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    "The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum. You won't be dissapointed.
    I have seen that book recommended enough times that I think I need to have a look at it. As I understand it, the book went out of print and there is a new edition available only from Mr. Barnbaum himself, with no diagrams or illustrations--is that correct? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, that book is out of print. I believe that I got the last copy from him after taking his workshop a couple of years ago.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Chazzy, you won't go wrong with the Barnbaum book...

Ara, if you want the real BREAKTHROUGH so as to know EXACTLY what any film/dev you decide to try is capable of and how to control it to the max then DONOT MISS Phil Davis "Beyond The Zone System." If you are shooting Medium Format, you'll need a few backs for reasons that should be obvious.

Make sure to get the videos/books/software. You can get it all at the View Camera Store. Once you understand this stuff, you have the golden key. You will be doing things and knowing what you are doing and why you are doing them. You will be SET FREE knowing confidently you are in control. Then you can get on with making photos. As I've stated before elsewhere, the BTZS is the best kept secret in photogrpahy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysandstrom
    Ara, if you want the real BREAKTHROUGH so as to know EXACTLY what any film/dev you decide to try is capable of and how to control it to the max then DONOT MISS Phil Davis "Beyond The Zone System." ... As I've stated before elsewhere, the BTZS is the best kept secret in photogrpahy.
    With respect, Davis is exactly wrong for about 50% of the folks who want to take pictures. For far too many people, his 'by the numbers' approach is a distraction, and befuddling when it doesn't have to be.

With a suitable foundation, one can take or leave Davis. B-T-Z-S can be wonderful, or it can crush a potentially fine photographer.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format

With a suitable foundation, one can take or leave Davis. B-T-Z-S can be wonderful, or it can crush a potentially fine photographer.

The operative phrase is "With a suitable foundation,"
    You can take years to achieve that foundation through trial and error like the poster has suggested he's done... and yet still isn't clear with regards to his processing. Or else, you can take the little effort it takes to learn the system so you can get out and start working on your art! The system is a distraction only if you don't understand it. Once you understand it, it becomes a very powerful tool. So long as it's not the only tool in your bag!

This gentleman asked for a book that would help him with his developing. In my opinion, there's no faster, more effective way! BTZS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin