Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 652

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can you recommend a good book on film developing?

I've been experimenting on and off for years with black and white film developing. Until I started reading APUG, I thought I had a good understanding, now I realize that I've just been going around in circles getting mediocre results. I picked up most of my bad habits from college and working in a pro lab. The more I read APUG, the more I realize that I'm doing a lot the wrong way. I want to really understand this craft and apply it to my art to get the exact results I want. Could you recommend any books on this subject that can be a guide for me? I was considering "The Film Developing Cookbook".
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    I I picked up most of my bad habits from college and working in a pro lab.
    Same here Ara!! Really bad habits at the lab but I learned a lot of sh**!!

I picked up the "Film Developing Cookbook" earlier this year and is my favorite book in the Elvis Presley room. I love the way it explains the difference between accutance developers and non-accutance developers and I'll know when to use either one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams "The Negative", second volume in the The Ansel Adams Photography Series.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was considering "The Film Developing Cookbook".
    Ara
    Good choice. It will cover all the details of many, many different developers in detail, as well as give a strong understanding of why the different types of developers do what they do. I was able to gain a great deal of understanding for the process from this book alone. I highly recommend it.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The film developing cookbook will help you understand what each chemical does and give you an intuitive understanding into photographic chemistry. The Negative will help you understand the whole process. Both books are wonderful - neither of them are perfect and complete. They will lay a good foundation though.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum. You won't be dissapointed.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    The Zone VI Workshop by Fred Picker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was considering "The Film Developing Cookbook".
    Ara
    This book is all new to me. It looks very interresting and seems to be a good book to go back to whenever you need to. Eager to hear more opinions about it. At Amazon, I saw there was a cookbook about the darkroom too, is it worth considering?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the work of David Vestal to be written in a refreshing way. You might try looking for his books (some of which are old, but still applicable).

Shooter
    35mm
    (re: The Film Developing Cookbook)

Quote Originally Posted by abeku
    This book is all new to me. It looks very interresting and seems to be a good book to go back to whenever you need to. Eager to hear more opinions about it. At Amazon, I saw there was a cookbook about the darkroom too, is it worth considering?
    The Darkroom Cookbook by Anchell is about photochemistry. It's excellent if you want to mix your own developers or other items from raw chemicals (metol, phenidone, sodium sulfite, borax, acetic acid, etc.). Even if you use formulas you obtain elsewhere, the Darkroom Cookbook explains the basics of the chemistry so you can better understand what you're doing when you add particular ingredients. It's also got a handy reference to many common chemicals describing what they do, what their hazards are, etc.

What the Darkroom Cookbook does not do is cover the process of developing in detail. It's not particularly helpful if you're looking to refine your darkroom techniques, aside from the chemical-mixing side of things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin