Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,481   Posts: 1,571,144   Online: 1157

Thread: J&C A49

Shooter
    Multi Format

J&C A49

Hi guys and gals,

I bought some Classic 400 sheet film from JandC. They say it "works nicely" with their A49 developer, so I bought some.

It comes in A and B packets (two per order), which I understand you mix together to create a litre of stock solution, but...

Is there a recommended temperature for the water before you start stirring in the powders, and (more importantly) does it matter which one goes in first, A or B?

TIA!

Steve
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used 90 degrees, mixed in A then B. I hope you like A49 better than I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I used 90 degrees, mixed in A then B. I hope you like A49 better than I did.
    Thanks, Paul.

What didn't you like about A49? Other than Pyrocat, what would you recommend for use with Classic 400?
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had used Atomtal when I lived in Italy and could not get Microdol X and A 49 was reported to the East German version of Atomtal, when Kodak stopped production of the 1 quart mix of Micordol I gave A 49 a try. I had to double the posted development times for most films I was using, just seemed flat, to get a really good shadow detail (zone II) had to expose at EI 100 with Tri X and Classic 400, and still had to extend development. The last box 4X5 and 120 of classic 400 I used Microdol X 1:3 and HC 110 with good results, I think D 76 would also be a good bet. I am now working with 777 and Edwal 12 with HP5 and PF4, my guess is that classic 400 would work as well once you have EI and times worked out. I understand that staining developers work well, but I dont use pyro's.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seadrive
    Other than Pyrocat, what would you recommend for use with Classic 400?
    Ok, you asked for it...

With Classic 400 I've used Rodinal 1:25 8 minutes with good results, another favorite is PC-TEA 1:50 for 11 minutes, or DK-50 for 5 minutes. I've never used Pyrocat, but for a staining developer, I've gotten good results with PMK, and PMK+.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to determine film speed right now, so I think I'll go with D76. JandC's development info web page says to use straight D76 for 8.5 minutes, so I'll try that.

The only pyro developer I have at the moment is ABC Pyro, which apparently is not recommended (no development time given) for use with Classic 400, but only with Classic 200.

Anyone know why?

Steve

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by seadrive
    The only pyro developer I have at the moment is ABC Pyro, which apparently is not recommended (no development time given) for use with Classic 400, but only with Classic 200.

Anyone know why?

Steve
    The only reason that I can see is for issues of grain. If that is not a concern for you, then I would say go for it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin