Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,833   Online: 909

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Photograher's Formulary Rodinal Question.

Hi,

I have been reading this forum for a while, and have been amazed at all the great information and help.

I searched the archives, but could not find an answer to my situation. I live in rural area in Japan, where normal Agfa Rodinal is very hard to come by, most of the stores in Tokyo will not ship it. However I managed to get some Photographer's formulary Rodinal.

I mixed it up according to the instructions, however the final result is not exactly what I expected. It is a rather think heavy thick yellow liquid. I am not sure if this is what its actually suppose to be l or not. I don't want to try to develop anything, before I proceed.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't say about the color of Formulary's Rodinal, but I have mixed a Rodinal substitute from "The Darkroom Cookbook". It's color is a light tan and a bit thicker than water. Perhaps the Formulary's version is supposed to be a yellowish color. All I can really say is to try a test roll of something unimportant, process it and see how it comes out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact The Formulary !

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, thanks to both of you gentleman for replying. I greatly appreciate the help.

The liquid itself is a tan color, so at least so far it sounds right. However, I tried to develop one sheet of film in my tank and it was completely blank. My first attempt was no sucessful, but I will try again. For the time being I am afraid to try any more.

I will drop an email to the Formulary and see what they have to say.

Thanks Again!!

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried to mix some from their kit too and wound up with a white viscous substance. I just bought it online then. Are you sure you can't buy it pre-mixed? It seems hard to mix yourself. And dangerous.

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I recall of a photo.net thread on this subject from a year or so ago, the nearly opaque liquid means you haven't passed the "precipitate forms" stage and need to continue adding sodium hydroxide solution until the precipitate clears (redissolves), leaving only a few crystals to maintain the solution in a saturated state.

However, if you've added all the sodium hydroxide provided, you should certainly contact Formulary and let them know that either their kit or their directions leave something seriously to be desired...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The preparation of a rodinal type developer is a bit tricky. Unlike other developers its preparation is not a matter of just dumping everything together.

Formulas call for a solution of paraminophenol hydrochloride together with potassium metabisulfite. To this is added, with stirring, a concentrated solution of either sodium or potassium hydroxide. At first, a thick precipitate of the paraminophenol base will form. This precipitate will dissolve with the addition of more hydroxide solution. The trick is to add hydroxide solution until there is a sudden darkening of the solution. At this point the hydroxide solution should be added very slowly drop by drop with constant stirring until only a small amount of precipitate remains. Should all the precipitate dissolve the addition of a few crystals of potassium metabisulfite should restore some precipitate.

Paraminophenol behaves as an acid in strongly alkaline solution and forms a salt called a phenolate. However, this salt is unstable in the presence of an excess of hydroxide. This is why a small amount of precipitate must remain to indicate that there is no excess. Unless the instructions are followed carefully the developer will not keep. There will probably be some leftover hydroxide solution which should be diluted with water and flushed down the sink with plenty of water.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin