Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,230   Online: 1105

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bulk loading without a bulk loader.

I would love to try the Pan F+ I received from ggriffi/Gary(hope the 4by 5 gets to you soon) but don,t have a spare bulk loader. Actually I have just one loader and it is full of Tri-X. Would it be ok to open the package in my film changing room (closet), peel off a 5 foot length (about 24 exposures) reseal the Pan F+ and load a single cassette? Or would this be begging for trouble.
    Thanks in Advance
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people do just that. How much trouble depends on you. But it can be done. Don't drop the roll-)

Images
    Good Morning, Mike,

Nick is right; it's just a matter of being careful. You can also remove and store the Tri-X temporarily, replace it with the Pan F to load some cassettes, then reload the bulk Tri-X. Again it's just a matter of being organized and careful so that you don't get the two types of film mixed up.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Once when I was doing research abroad, shooting microfilm for my research, and didn't have a bulk loader, I would just mark the length with two pieces of masking tape in the bathroom, and I could measure out 36-exposure lengths quickly that way.

In addition to that or swapping the Tri-X out of your bulk loader, you could just buy another one. Second hand they are pretty cheap these days, and even new ones aren't that costly. There are some people who keep three or four of them going at a time.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike,

Swapping out is pretty simple as long as you make sure and take one out and place in its bag before removing the other one and loading.

Just in case your interested, I do have a bunch of loaders that need to find new homes, cheap.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Mike,

I never store my partially used bulk rolls in the cassette loader, I put them back in their original tin. It isn't hard to do inside a changing bag.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I've seen "naked" bulk loaders (on eBay, not in person) that are intended to be used only in complete darkness. Such a device isn't really much different from doing the job without any bulk loader at all -- it just provides a way to conveniently measure the film and keep things organized in the dark.

I do second the suggestion of looking for a second bulk loader if you want to regularly deal with more than one type of bulk film. I just bought a spare on eBay for $5.95 ($11.45 with postage), complete with (very 1970s) box and instructions. Some secondhand bulk loaders even have film in them, although it's usually pretty old stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Problem solved.

Thanks to Dave (Satinsnow) a Lloyds bulk loader is being shipped from "Big Sky" country to Canadas rugged east coast.

Ain"t APUG Grand,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, it's pretty easy to bulk load without a bulk loader if you have a darkroom. Just cut off a strip of film, tape it to the reel, roll it up, and assemble it into the cassette. A handy accessory is a piece string cut to the length of a 36 exposure roll. Use it to measure the length of the strip. You could probably do all this in a changing bag (I have), but a darkroom is much easier.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin