Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,052   Online: 1015

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

tray developing times vs. rotary processor times

hi

finally i have loaded up my rotary processor to develop a bunch of 4x5 sheet film ... but my problem is that i usually develop in trays ( don't stop shuffling the film until the time is up ) ... would it be in the right ballpark if i use the same time in my rotary processor as i do in trays ... or is there something i might be missing here ?

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

- john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    hi

finally i have loaded up my rotary processor to develop a bunch of 4x5 sheet film ... but my problem is that i usually develop in trays ( don't stop shuffling the film until the time is up ) ... would it be in the right ballpark if i use the same time in my rotary processor as i do in trays ... or is there something i might be missing here ?

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

- john
    I suppose the rotary will be constant agitation, so take off about 30% of your usual time from tray developing. Should get you in the ball park, but you know you are stuck with some testing, right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd have said to take off more like 20%, but 15-30% somewhere in there should be a good starting point. In theory, both are "constant agitation" but rotary drums are a little more constant than trays, since each sheet is constantly being agitated, and not sitting in the stack for part of the time. Of course that can vary for tray agitation if you sometimes develop 2 sheets and sometimes 10 sheets in a stack, so I usually try to keep track of tray agitation in terms of how often I should cycle through the stack (e.g. 1 cycle every 30 sec or 1 cycle every 15 sec. or constant cycling).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    according to the old JOBO USA website a 5 min pre wash allows you to use the same times used previously for trays. That said I would not hesatate to run a test to verify this info.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks guys!

( and les )

i appreciate your help ---

- john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin