Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,386   Online: 1101

Thread: Kodak 3200

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak 3200

I will be using this film to capture the late night antics during our annual "Jazz/Blues Festival" beginning this week.In order to remain unobtrusive I will be using either a Yashica T4 or Muji II which use automatic DX coding.
    Is it possible to shoot at a full 3200 to take advantage of low light situations and develop in HC-110 for 1600,the films proper ISO?

Thank You,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my experience, most of the dev times for Tmax 3200 will give you more of a 1600 result than 3200 anyway. Besides that, yes, you can pull the film - but what you describe seems to be a process that will not give you any adventage I can see (in my humble estimation - I do hope someone else chimes in with more experience). If you shoot the film at 3200 and develop it at 1600 you will have thin negs unless you overexpose your shots - and in that case, why not just soup for 3200?
    I am wondering - what is it you are trying to gain by doing this? (I'm not being snide - I am just wondering if maybe there is a glaring obvious answer that I am overlooking)

Either way, best of luck,

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rhyme for my reason.

Hi Peter. I have used Kodak 3200 in two previous low light situations and found the grain structure a bit intense when processed at its stated ISO.This is a situation where I do not want to use flash (Flash + Drunks= Hardship). For ease of use I will be leaving my manual Nikons at home and attempt to get some "shirt pocket" photos with the T4 or Stylus Epic. Thought that a full 3200 would give me an extra stop while souping at 1600 will achieve a tighter grain. Just a thought.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found that you can shoot TMAX 3200 at 3200 with either Acufine or Microfin, but agree that best shadow is at 1600 in either HC 110 or Microdol X. I have been experimenting with both TMAX and Delta 3200 at 6400, 7 mints in Acufine and 7 mints in 777 or Edwal 12, very printable negatives, the grain looks odd, not large just an odd pattern.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

I now see what you wanted to accomplish. From what I know of these (somewhat weird) films, you will have minimum grain size decrease by pulling them while losing a lot of speed. Actually, as per the above post, most people find the 6400 times to be the best usage of those emulsions. Are you sure that a roll of TriX with a good kick in the pants would not be better?

And I had a good laugh at the "drunks+flash" equation - too true!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pushed Tri-X.

Hey Peter.
    I will try both methods.Pull some 3200 and push a few rolls of Tri-X. I just switched developers (for fast B&W) to HC-110 and really like the results.Still use Rodinal for my slower stuff.
    Really too bad the event (5 days&nights of blues/jazz music in many outdoors venues) will be shot in digital and ONLY digital. You don,t have to be a connaseur of fine art to realize that analog black and white is the ONLY medium that captures a smokey dance floor at 3:00 am.Ya can almost hear the alto sax in the background.

Mike
    "You don,t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"
    Dylan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

Sounds like a good plan - see what you get. I agree, there is nothing like a real B&W print to capture the feel of a night like that! And I'm jelous - I missed the Toronto Jazz Festival completely this year - sounds like you will have some good shots to remind you of great music!

Cheers,

Peter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin