Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,881   Online: 1132

Shooter
    Multi Format

ADOX Vario Classic

ADOX Vario Classic G 1.05x10 Paper 1.05x10 meter roll

Anyone out here used this paper.
    Im thinking of buying from J&C - http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=325

Im atracted to the possibilities of making unusually sized prints, all of them Large-ish.

The line in the description that reads - "no embedded development accelerators"...

..."or artificial optical brighteners"

Sounds like Im being told that the exposures are longer with this paper... anything to worry about there?

Anyone have any other comments pertinent to this product? ...

I dont drop $100 too lightly... (I know, Im in the wrong sport) but it's time for me to upgrade my product. I do have access to large areas in which to cut the paper down to size.

I will be developing in trays, and possibly in a JOBO rotary CPP2.

Any recomendations on the developers? (I might as well buy some with the order... save on shipping)

TIA for any help with this.
    Last edited by Noah Huber; 09-13-2005 at 01:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The description makes it sound like a B&W paper, and AFAIK J&C doesn't sell any color materials. In other words, I think you posted to the wrong forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DAM! Your right (of course).
    Maybe a moderator can shoo me over into the right slot.
    I looked into deleting it, but no go...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahh....
    With a little help, we managed to get into the right forum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Incorporated developers indicate possibly faster development, but will not effect exposure time. Brighteners just make the base brighter than plain paper would be. I would not be surprised if it is pretty slow paper, but neither of the statements that you refer to would relate to that.

As far as I know, Fiber papers do not usually have developer incorporated in them, in fact with Kodak leaving the market, I think developer incorporated papers have become extremely scarce.

You might see if they have a smaller package of the paper available to test it first. It does sound promising, but I am not interested unless I can be pretty sure it works okay with OC safelights, and J&C seems to be saying it might not.

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Adox in 8X10 and once the heat breaks I will order both the 8X10 and 12X16. I think it is a basic VC paper, reminds me of the old Dupont papers, I don't think there is any incorporated developer. J&C recommend a red safelight, last weekend I changed from polycontrast to Adox and forgot to change safelights and got somewhat gray hightlights, once I recalled to use red, problem was solved. I find it to be as fast as polycontrast or Ifford multigrade. A roll is a lot paper so I agree that you might want to order a box to try.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have found it (in another incarnation, under the name of Varycon) to do very well in Ansco 130. Better than in any other developer I've tried. It can also produce nice lith prints with pinkish highlights in the right developer, although it is extremely prone to pepper fogging.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul, Paul, and Ole -
    Thank you! I'd thought of picking up a smaller batch first... maybe still will...

I noted the red safe light need... dont think there will be any issues there.
    And thanks for addressing the issues of the developer Paul S.

Much appreciated guys.

Once I have a go at this paper (in whatever size) I'll make sure and add some comments to this thread.
    Heck, maybe even an image!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Adox

Noah-please do make a post because I'm interested and I'm sure other people are too...
    Thanks, Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin