Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,764   Online: 853

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tri-X (400TX) and HC-110 B

I am asking this for a friend who wants to develop his Tri-X (shot at 400) in HC-110 B

Is the time really 3.75 minutes? The massive dev chart is not much help so I am looking for a real world answer.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might try a greater dilution ( 1+63 from stock, or twice the dilution of B )
    for 12 to 14 minutes. Test it.

Short development times are not easy to work with... the 3 3/4 might BE right, but REALLY not practical.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I use HC110 dil B at about 5min. 6 if the film was exposed in low light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ website lists development times for many films in HC-110. It also suggests using twice the dilution B development time for the unofficial dilution H time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There have been threads on this and other forums about the published times for the "new" Tri-X being wrong. On Kodak's website, however, the tech data for HC-110 has the "old" numbers:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j24.jhtml#003

which is 7 1/2 minutes at 68 degrees for "roll film" Tri-X. There are also the "new" numbers on the same chart.

I've been using the old numbers. If you or your friend is still uncertain, one can't go wrong with D76 for Tri-X.

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    In my experience, the number Kodak has published for the 'new' Tri-X in HC-110B is a little too short. Uneven development isn't really the problem either; although this depends to some degree, I suppose, on agitation method (I typically do 3-4 inversions every 30 seconds). The problem is that you don't get enough density in the dark areas. You will get marginally printable negs but,will probably be happier with slightly longer processing times.

Try 5-6 minutes.
    Last edited by BradS; 09-13-2005 at 03:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have heard others say that the old times work for the new emulsion.

I can't say since all I have is the old emulsion. My tests on the old emulsion were EI 200 and N Dev at six minutes fifteen seconds (HC110 dil B) in tray development (68 degrees) gave me a Zone VIII density of 1.15 above FB+fog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just kept the same time (6min) at EI 250. I have used both the old and new emulsion. As Covington's site suggests, I think the 3 min time is a mistake on Kodak's part. It sounds more like the Dil A time...

boc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had great success with 320TXP in HC-110 1:50 for 7mins in a JOBO with constant agitation. Not 400TX I know, but I shoot them both at 200 so it may be of some use if you're doing constant agitation.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin