Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,650   Posts: 1,623,549   Online: 863

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Are Ilford pan 400 and HP5 the same film?

It's about 25% cheaper in bulk here, so I was curious whether there's any difference between them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where is here?
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Israel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the rumour was it was HP5 [Not HP5+]. How old would HP4 be? HP5+ is approaching 20 years isn't it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gbenaim
    It's about 25% cheaper in bulk here, so I was curious whether there's any difference between them.
    Here, in Poland Ilfordpan400 is twice as cheap as HP5+.
    There were some discussions about Pan400vsHP5+ on Polish newsgroups and if I remember well, most people found no big difference between them. Some claim that Pan400 might be HP5 and Pan100- FP4, but nobody knows it for sure. AFAIR, HP5+ emulsion was different colour from Pan400.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I used Pan 400 from Slovenija side by side with bulk loaded HP5+ and could find no difference, the HP5+ was close to expiry and the Pan 400 rather fresh. Comparing Pan 100 to FP4+ both close to expire date, I found the Pan 100 to be more grainny, so could be old FP4 emulsion.

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An Ilford employee (he's no longer employed there) told me that pan 400 is HP5+ and pan 100 is FP4+. He claimed that they are cut from the edges of the roll (the film is made in big rolls, then cut in narrower sizes), which are considered to having more flows (marks, etc) than the middle part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    An Ilford employee (he's no longer employed there) told me that pan 400 is HP5+ and pan 100 is FP4+. He claimed that they are cut from the edges of the roll (the film is made in big rolls, then cut in narrower sizes), which are considered to having more flows (marks, etc) than the middle part.

Interesting! Ilford gives FP4+ a speed rating of ASA 125. I wonder why they didn't call the film Pan 125.
    Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokon
    Here, in Poland Ilfordpan400 is twice as cheap as HP5+.
    HP5 Plus is at least twice as good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin