Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,190   Online: 697

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This topic comes up time and time again and for me there are two clearly seperate issues:

1. Getting your exposure and development nailed.
    2. Liking the 'look' of the film when you get the above right.

Poeple who do not like the look of the film are not neccessarily messing up exp and dev. I have developed sheet Tmax very successfully (techically ie good shadow detail and controlled highlights) with pyrocat and exactol lux and still dont like the stuff in the main. There is nothing 'wrong' with the resultant prints, but to me they lack soul and are somehow lifeless. I do however have a few scenes where it is outstanding (dominated by shadow and highlight....bizarrely...contrasty scenes). I have come to conclude that the shadows and highlights are great, but everything in between is not (for me, the shots I take, the light I shoot in etc. The middle greys I find flat and lacking somehow. This film does have a specific look to it and it just is not for everyone no matter how careful you are. I do however agree that it is entirely tameable with a little effort. I would also look to use this film for architecture where it's modern look seems to work very nicely ( a tiny proportion of my work.)

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Just ona different point, if your kodak readyload holder is the current single sheet holder it does fuji quickloads very nicely. I have run a fair bit of acros thru mine and fwiw prefer it to tmax100. With this holder I have had zero failures with Tmax100 and acros (never used colour).

Tom
    Any tricks to using a quickload in a readyload holder?

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    I tend to be a little too relaxed in my approach to get consistently good results with Tmax-100 but, in my experience, when it's good, it's really, really good.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have shot TMax100 almost exclusively since 1998. It is incredibly sensitive to changes in development time and temp.

You will read that with anxiety or with positive anticipation.

The meticulous dark-room technician will find its sensitivity to be a delightful attribute to be manipulated to great advantage. The less obsessive-compulsive technician among us will end up with results as predictable as a random-number generator on steroids.

If it has an area where it lacks, I have never been able to accomplish the exagerated edge effect achieved in stand-development.

The fact that it is the only Black and White film that commands a $2.50/sheet price in ready-load form should tell you something.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blaughn
    I have shot TMax100 almost exclusively since 1998. It is incredibly sensitive to changes in development time and temp.

You will read that with anxiety or with positive anticipation.

The meticulous dark-room technician will find its sensitivity to be a delightful attribute to be manipulated to great advantage. The less obsessive-compulsive technician among us will end up with results as predictable as a random-number generator on steroids.

If it has an area where it lacks, I have never been able to accomplish the exagerated edge effect achieved in stand-development.

The fact that it is the only Black and White film that commands a $2.50/sheet price in ready-load form should tell you something.
    Bruce,
    I have a box of 4X5 that I want to use...I usually use Pyrocat for the rest of my films...the massive development chart shows 9 minutes at 27 C...does this coincide with your experience?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Don:

I use TMax RS in a Jobo CPP 1+9 @75 degrees. I don't imagine it will be much help but perhaps you can interpolate a starting point. My times are as follow:

N+2 - 14:00 - EI 80 to 100 depending on subject
    N+1 - 10.5 - EI 80
    N - 8.5 - EI 64
    N-1 - 6.5 - EI 50
    N-2 - 5.0 - EI 50 - 32 depending on subject

This is with 100TMax the "New Tmax" with 4 "v" notches. The times for the older TMax100 (2 "v" notches differ by about 25 %. I have these numbers if you need them.

Good Luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tmax 100 is a brilliantly wonderful and easy film to use. It is very versatile and will deliver a range of curves for almost any need.

People got off on the wrong foot when they conceived of it as a Plus X alternative, which it is not. It was, however, a dazzling replacement for Pantatomic X, which it is.

People who are stick-in-the-mud BTZS'ers will only see a part of it's versatility, but using some of Sandy King's suggestions for agitation variation in drums ( or, for the coarse and barbarian amongst us, trays...).

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin