Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,417   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

TMax 100 questions

I just picked up a Kodak Readyload holder to handle those days when I want to shoot more than the number of holders I can carry. Since Tmax 100 is the only B&W film available in readyloads I'll probably want to try it out. I'm also looking for a cheap Fuji Quickload holder so I can try Acros.

I've avoided Tmax in the past, due to its tricky rep. I'll run BTZS curves for it to help zero in things before I shoot anything serious.

So my questions are as follows:

Is it worth my time? I know Sexton loves the film, but he seems to be about the only one.

What developers to people like with this film? I usually use Pyrocat HD now, but I have most anything else available (or could mix it from scratch).

Anything to watch out for with it?

Thanks,
    Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't speak about doing T-max LF, but I have shot globs of it in 35mm. The LF could be a bit of a different beast, but how much different? I never cared for the tone and contrast of the T-grained films, but I did get my best results with T-max 100 in Rodinal, 1+50 @ EI 64. I used the time from the Massive Dev. Chart at digitaltruth.com.

Good shooting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just ona different point, if your kodak readyload holder is the current single sheet holder it does fuji quickloads very nicely. I have run a fair bit of acros thru mine and fwiw prefer it to tmax100. With this holder I have had zero failures with Tmax100 and acros (never used colour).

Tom

Images
    Good Morning, Steve,

I think that it is far from correct to state that Sexton is the only one who has a positive view of T-100. There have been various posts here on the topic, and a search would turn up a lot of differing opinions on both the film and the processing options. My own thought is that some of the complaints about T-100's "tricky rep" may be more reflective of sloppy, careless darkroom technique than indicative of any inherent property of the emulsion; I find the film to be capable of excellent, consistent results and very responsive to variations in processing times, especially with T-Max developer--a desirable characteristic in my opinion.

Konical
    Last edited by Konical; 09-18-2005 at 09:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    I just picked up a Kodak Readyload holder to handle those days when I want to shoot more than the number of holders I can carry. Since Tmax 100 is the only B&W film available in readyloads I'll probably want to try it out. I'm also looking for a cheap Fuji Quickload holder so I can try Acros.

I've avoided Tmax in the past, due to its tricky rep. I'll run BTZS curves for it to help zero in things before I shoot anything serious.

So my questions are as follows:

Is it worth my time? I know Sexton loves the film, but he seems to be about the only one.

What developers to people like with this film? I usually use Pyrocat HD now, but I have most anything else available (or could mix it from scratch).

Anything to watch out for with it?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Instead of tricky I would describe TMAX-100 as very responsive to time in making adjustment for contraction and expansion development. You really need to test the film for best work because it does not have a lot of latitude in develoment.

I don't use TMAX-100 because it has a UV filter that adds about three stops of printing speed for UV sensitive processes. For printing with silver or for scanning, however, it is an outstanding film.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 09-18-2005 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was talking with Clyde Butcher yesterday. He says he loves the film. Looking at his latest prints, which are now ink jet prints, he, IMHO, has gotten a better handle on contrast that he had with the huge silver prints he formerly made. The prints no longer have empty shadows and blown out hightlights, but they still don't glow.

I have never been able to get good mid-tones with the film, but that may be because of the light here.
    juan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Steve,

Avoid the overexposure/operdevelop trap. Xtol 1:1, T-Max (yes, I realize Kodak specifically recommends against it for sheets) and PMK have all worked well for me. Rather than going through an entire BTZS test, I suggest you expose at EI100, tray processa couple of sheets in Xtol 1:1 and follow the times/temps in the Xtol data sheet to the letter. Your negs will probably look a little thin, but that's ok. If you don't like it after a printing session, why spend a lot of time on it. Personally, I don't see what all the complaints are about but maybe I need new glasses.<g>

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    I love 100 tmx in 4x5. I just think of it as being very sensitive (like color film) to time and temp. I shoot it at ISO 100 develop only in Tmax-RS at 72F and agitate very gently. I use 4x5 plastic tanks in a water bath with film in hangers. I put them in and pull them out slowly and tip them to almost a 90 deg. angle for a slow count of five. I am more active with other films but if I treat TMX that way I have a problem with surge marks. When the last of my 8x10 is gone I am going to Efke but with 8x10 TMX i develop one sheet at a time in a stainless tray with about 14 oz of developer as a one shot. TMX is a good film but will not take the abuse we sometimes give older films. At one time in order to meet deadlines I was so hard on tri-X you would have thought I was shaking a martini.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi: I shot TMax 100 almost from the time it was first introduced, and am reluctantly giving it up because now it just costs too darn much. In the simplest zone system terms, if you normally test by multiplying your normal time by 1.4 to get a plus 1, and by .7 to get a minus 1, simply cut those multiples in half to get a handle on where TMax is going. Try exposing it at e.i. 64 for good shadow detail.
    Koday started everyone out wrong by neglecting to inform us that the purple die washes out easily if you fix the film for a longer than normal time. I seem to remember that it took them about 6 months to get the word out after putting the film on store shelves. Somehow I figured it out by myself.
    I've developed it in HC110, dilution E, and gotten good results for years. I've also used it with PMK pyro, which I stopped using because, well, HC110 is so cheap and easy to get. I used to work for a company that gave me the stuff, and it's kinda hard to beat that price.
    I've gone over to JandC Classic 400, at about 60% of the price of TMax. It has a different look which I'm getting used to. It's hard to give up an old friend, but money being what is and all. I haven't yet hit the lottery. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I processed the Tmax 100 readyloads rated at 200 asa, developed in Photographer's Formulary TFX-2 @ 8' @ 68* in a Jobo ATL2000 with the film in an Expert Drum. After establishing this base thru densitometry I have not found the film hard to work with. I use the same processing with TMX-120 too, (except for the drums of course).
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin