Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,191   Online: 984

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Can you re-shoot the photo? It might be a whole lot easier than all the burning and dodging.
    Yes I could re-shoot it, but since I need to have something done ASAP, then if I can't achieve the look I want in the time I have left, then I will move on to print another image of similar scenery from the roll that won't be as much trouble. I have a strong preference for making the windmill one work.

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP
    Give the bleaching a try. Used a lot by Bruce Barnbaum. It does increase contrast in the shadow area. Also make sure you are not overexposing the paper. Try to get just the lightest black that you are comfortable with. This will keep the shadows off the paper curve shoulder. You should see more contrast using the straight part of the curve.
    I like the idea of keeping the image area off the paper's shoulder. I was thinking the same thing, but had no idea how I knew if I had hit the shoulder or not. Actually I do remember comparing the windmill amongst some test strips I made and the local contrast did increase for some exposures that I would have considered 'under-exposed'
    I'll keep bleach on my list of possible attempts, but since I am tight for time, I will initially create a mask to burn in the windmill blades. Another thing I'll try and do is to obtain a dark blue 47b filter (to replace Ilford MG #5 filter) to further increase the contrast in that area . This latter idea was suggested to me by Ralph Lambrecht.
    regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/La...agebleach.html

This works pretty well when I have needed it. It especially is useful when you would have a difficult time printing at a higher contrast and dodging the shadows because of image complexity, etc. One caveat: read the dilution instructions carefully. This uses VERY dilute bleach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The split contrast exposure is a good idea. In any case, it sounds like a difficult negative. Masking may be of help here, but you may have to plan the mask carefully. Unsharp masking is the most common way to enhance local contrast without changing overall contrast too much. If you dodge the mask, you can make it more effective in some areas than others. Probably you will need a combination of tools and many sheets of paper to get what you want. Be sure to keep notes as you go along.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    When I have an area that I have burned in and it still doesn't "pop", I take a little bit of warm water and a cotton swab or paper towel and I rub the area with it. Workes every time.
    I agree with this. Even just rubbing the area with a finger has quite a good effect. I suppose it provides local aggitation and a bit of warmth.

David.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin