Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,734   Posts: 1,515,366   Online: 1045

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fortepan 100 and Rodinal?

Hello friends,

yesterday I shoot a 120 roll of my beloved Fortepan 100... it was a portrait session, and the results are quite precious for me. Well, I know well how to process FP100 in Microphen - but how should it work with Rodinal? The package says 9 min at 1+50 AGFA Rodinal - should it work for me? Or maybe I should better use a different concentration of Rodinal to get fine, crisp beautiful grain? I just don't want to put my results under a risk, that's why I decided to ask... the portraits I shot would look nicer in Rodinal, that's my guess. Please, let me know your opinion about getting nice, normal-grade printable negatives from Fortepan 100 and AGFA Rodinal combination.

Cheers from Moscow,
    Zhenya

Shooter
    35mm
    If you don't want to risk your negatives, do one of two things:

• Process the film in a developer in which you've processed this film in the past, and so know what to expect.
    • Shoot at least one more roll as a test and develop it in another developer (Rodinal, presumably). If necessary, repeat this until you get the results you want.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer's recommendations, and those of anybody who might post here, can't be considered anything but starting points. Agitation style, agitation timing, temperature quirks (such as uncalibrated thermometers), and so on can affect the results. What's more, the results that you want or need may be different from those that somebody else might want or need because of different preferences, a different enlarger, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dear friends, thank you for your assistance! I know of course that any recommendation is merely a starting point suggestion, but I thought maybe knows just an interesting combination that works really well for him? I'm a risky guy, though, and can't wait to develop that roll - my inner sense tells me that it would be okay in Rod 1+50, package time plus a minute - that makes 10 min. Judgind by all other properties of classical films, my lighting and Rodinal past experience, the negatives should come out perfect... but what if not? Oh, what a trill

Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
    Dear friends, thank you for your assistance! I know of course that any recommendation is merely a starting point suggestion, but I thought maybe knows just an interesting combination that works really well for him? I'm a risky guy, though, and can't wait to develop that roll - my inner sense tells me that it would be okay in Rod 1+5, package time plus a minute - that makes 10 min. Judgind by all other properties of classical films, my lighting and Rodinal past experience, the negatives should come out perfect... but what if not? Oh, what a trill

Zhenya
    I say go for it, it is much safer than skydiving or rock climbing. If you weren't such a thrill seeker, I would agree with everyone else that this is not the roll of film to be testing developer on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As already mentioned, safest is what you know of course. Next best is to shoot another roll of similar lighting/subject, and develop that in Rodinal.

You may like to try 1+100 dilution too. I use this as my standard dilution for 120 & sheet film, and always get good results. Very sharp and little or no grain.

Post your results!

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HOORAY!!

Hello friends,

finally I, like a real trill seeker, have developed my sacred portrait session roll of Fortepan 100. I used Kaiser 600 ml tank, AGFA Rodinal 1+50 on a distilled water, at 20 degrees. First minute rotate, then 5 sec every other minute - for 10 minutes, as the box said. Well, the results are... purely exceptional! I didn't expect it to be so good! The grain is exactly as I wanted - tight, crisp and beautiful. The negatives are not black and contain full details in lights and shadows, with terrific tonality, easily printable on normal grade paper (I used Fomaspeed 311). The prints are still wet, but tomorrow I will scan them and post in my gallery. Forte, if processed correctly, can perform even better than many of the modern expensive films - that's true.

Cheers from Moscow,
    Zhenya

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin